Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:03:29 am

Author Topic: Student discounts on laptops?  (Read 3620 times)  Share 

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Student discounts on laptops?
« on: January 09, 2021, 09:02:31 am »
I dived down the rabbit hole of trying to replace my laptop affordably and decently... I was wondering, what kinds of discounts do enrolled students get on laptops? (I'm not enrolled yet, but come 14th I expect to be.)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: Student discounts on laptops?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 10:17:03 am »
+4
I dived down the rabbit hole of trying to replace my laptop affordably and decently... I was wondering, what kinds of discounts do enrolled students get on laptops? (I'm not enrolled yet, but come 14th I expect to be.)
I got a discount on my laptop via HP - using a site called unidays. :)

I hope that helps!
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Student discounts on laptops?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 10:22:50 am »
+5

Idk what the deals are atm but I got my surface pro (inc keyboard - usually a surface go/pro wouldn't come with one) for about $600 iirc from the microsoft online shop using a student discount. The model I got doesn't have much memory so a couple years later I've ended up getting a cheap HHD but being able to handwrite notes has been amazing, especially for maths and chem units.   Before that, I didn't have a laptop that would survive 5 seconds off charge and it was hard to study/work with friends since I was always tied down by needing to find a computer (to access lecture slides, get assignment info, write up assignments etc.)

I know this is getting kind of tangential to your question but: if you already have a laptop you can use for uni, you can probably hold off until end of financial year sales to really bargain hunt and have a sem of experience and talking to other students to see what they find useful. Otherwise, you don't have any device you can use like that & you're in a position where you can get a laptop early in your degree I would recommend that.

Hope this helps!