Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:35:56 pm

Author Topic: Bachelor of Science vs Bachelor of Commerce  (Read 805 times)  Share 

kat05

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Bachelor of Science vs Bachelor of Commerce
« on: January 13, 2021, 02:48:57 pm »
Hi there,
I am all of a sudden quite confused about the degree I want to pursue. Initially, I wanted to do BSc so I could do medicine (either via Monash or GAMSAT) but all of a sudden I feel it'll be sooo difficult and BSc doesn't guarantee much if you don't get into med (might be an assumption of mine) and I want to do something where I know I'll be secure (in terms of career) to some extent and I will also enjoy it. While I do enjoy science/med etc, I also somewhat enjoy commerce/business and I would like to pursue this at Melb Uni. But I am not sure what commerce offers in terms of job opportunities and whether I'll land a corporate job I like. I am not sure if I'll enjoy the corporate lifestyle and working 9-5. Please let me know what you think of these degrees and the future job opportunities they have to offer! Especially with BSc (it's quite a risky degree lol if I only want to do med), but I am not sure if I am 100% passionate about medicine either at this point in time. Hahah sorry this is quite long, but even if you can offer some advice, I would be very grateful!!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Bachelor of Science vs Bachelor of Commerce
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 03:53:55 pm »
+3
Commerce and Science are two huge broad degrees so no one can really say what would be better without knowing more about yourself.

Why are you thinking about doing medicine? Asking this question since those reasons may apply to other similar science/health type degrees which may make a BSc a more valid option.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Bachelor of Science vs Bachelor of Commerce
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 06:48:27 pm »
I agree with Sine.

You do also have the alternative of doing a double degree at another institute e.g. Monash in both Science and Commerce, if you do want a sort of compromise.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread