Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:17:38 am

Author Topic: Am I just dumb or is everyone starting off like this?  (Read 2467 times)

ErnieTheBirdi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Am I just dumb or is everyone starting off like this?
« on: January 21, 2021, 01:59:27 am »
Hey everyone, I was just wondering. How is everyone going with UCAT prep and study? This is my first time doing it and my averages on the UCAT Q banks are SHOCKING! and I get disheartened every time, however, I will continue to practice and improve! I just wanted to know for those who have done this before did you start off bad too? Or am I just stupid?

My score    Average Score
VR: 33%         VR:61%
DM:25%        DM:64%
QR:40%         QR:96%
AR:47%          AR:47%
SJ:50%            SJ:57%

FYI: these are according to the MedEntry Q banks

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
Re: Am I just dumb or is everyone starting off like this?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 09:37:29 am »
+10
Hi ErnieTheBirdi,

Congrats on starting your journey into UCAT prep!
When first taking the UCAT or example questions, it is entirely normal to receive scores that seem disheartening or low.
You should hopefully use your scores to reflect on which parts are your weaknesses and strengths. The UCAT is also a test on speed and accuracy and is based on skills rather than prior knowledge (except for parts of quantitative reasoning). And through practice, those scores will definitely rise. Keep in mind, the time constraint on each section and the complexity of some questions may cause a lower score,  but through practice;  especially with VR and QR, you'll hopefully develop skills and tricks to answer the question faster.

It all comes with practice :)

2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: Am I just dumb or is everyone starting off like this?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 09:48:39 am »
+11
Hey,

The UCAT is like that :( It's a difficult test. I think most people are in the same boat when they are early into their preparation. Considering the actual test is a few months away, you've got plenty of time to practice and refine your approach. Keep at it, you've got this!

Also, the people who did that MedEntry mock might have been at a different stage in their test preparation to you. I know a couple of people that used MedEntry just for the QR section after using Medify, so they had quite a bit of practice beforehand.

Good on you for giving it a go and persisting! I know it's easy to feel disheartened but keep trying your best. Remember you are not stupid at all! The UCAT doesn't determine how "smart" or "dumb" you are or how good of a doctor / dentist you'll be.

Good luck! Hope it all goes well :)

Edit: scientificllama posted while I was typing, so there will probably be some overlap in our responses.
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash