Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:27:28 am

Author Topic: when can I get my p's?  (Read 10292 times)  Share 

gettingmyps

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
when can I get my p's?
« on: March 15, 2021, 07:30:32 pm »
Hi,
I've only been in australia for 2 years, so not really sure about this

I got my learners permit in august 1, 2020. I turned 20 on the 16th of june, 2020. My question is, according to vicroads, if you're between 21 and 24, you need to hold your learners permit for 6 months, but under 21 means 12 months.

So let's say when I turn 21 on the 16th of june this year, I would have held my learners permit for 10.5 months (since I got my l's on august 1, 2020). But my confusion is where it says between 21 and 24 you need to hold the learners permit for 6 months, is that age 21 when you got your permit, or age 21 when you actually do the p's test?

tldr; got learners august 1, 2020, turned 20 in june 16, 2020 when's the earliest i'm allowed to do my p's test?

gettingmyps

• Adventurer
Re: when can I get my p's?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 09:45:48 am »
Hi,

I got my learners permit in august 1, 2020. I turned 20 on the 16th of june, 2020. My question is, according to vicroads, if you're between 21 and 24, you need to hold your learners permit for 6 months, but under 21 means 12 months.

So let's say when I turn 21 on the 16th of june this year, I would have held my learners permit for 10.5 months (since I got my l's on august 1, 2020). But my confusion is where it says between 21 and 24 you need to hold the learners permit for 6 months, is that age 21 when you got your permit, or age 21 when you actually do the p's test?

tldr; got learners august 1, 2020, turned 20 in june 16, 2020 when's the earliest i'm allowed to do my p's test?

?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 10:13:52 am »
+8
Hey Gettingmyps,

Thanks for posting, but please understand that ATARNotes is based on volunteers helping other people, so it can often take a little while until someone who is knowledgeable in the area is able to respond to your post.

Hi,

As far as my memory goes, once you are 21 years old, the wait time changes to 6 months, so I think it should be OK for you to go get your Ps on your 21st birthday if you wish to and are able to snag a test slot that day. However, I’m not 100% sure about this and would highly advise that you double check with your state’s governing driving authority e.g. VicRoads if you’re Victorian.

Good luck!
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

gettingmyps

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 05:37:24 pm »
Hey Gettingmyps,

Thanks for posting, but please understand that ATARNotes is based on volunteers helping other people, so it can often take a little while until someone who is knowledgeable in the area is able to respond to your post.
 As far as my memory goes, once you are 21 years old, the wait time changes to 6 months, so I think it should be OK for you to go get your Ps on your 21st birthday if you wish to and are able to snag a test slot that day. However, I’m not 100% sure about this and would highly advise that you double check with your state’s governing driving authority e.g. VicRoads if you’re Victorian.

Good luck!
I'm in victoria if that makes any difference to the rules?

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 07:22:27 pm »
+6
I'm in victoria if that makes any difference to the rules?
The rules AngelWings has stated are correct for Victoria (given VicRoads is for Victoria) :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

gettingmyps

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 09:04:13 pm »
The rules AngelWings has stated are correct for Victoria (given VicRoads is for Victoria) :)
ok so that means that the 6 month rule for 21-24 year olds, it's 21 when you sit the driving test, and 21 when you get the learners permit right?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 10:46:36 am »
+4
ok so that means that the 6 month rule for 21-24 year olds, it's 21 when you sit the driving test, and 21 when you get the learners permit right?

In Victoria, if you are 16 you can go for your Ls, but must get the 120 hrs driving practise with 20 hrs min of night driving before you get your Ps. You must be 17yo and 11 months at hazards perception test and 18yo at Ps driving test. (And I think you need to hold your Ls for 12 months if you’re in this age range between 16-18.)

If you are 21 yo when you get your Ls, you do not need to satisfy the 120 hours, but need to wait 6 months on your Ls before going for your Ps and then pass both hazards and driving tests.

If you are younger than 21 at your Ls but 21 or over when you go for the driving test, you just have to wait 6 months as far as my  understanding goes. (In your case, you can take your Ps on your birthday, since you would’ve ticked over to 21 at driving test if you chose to take it on your birthday and have waited for 6 months already. This will be the earliest day you can take it.)

Once you pass the Ps tests, you will hold your green Ps for 3 years if you’re 21+. (If you’re 18-21, you will have to hold your red Ps for 12 months and then green for another 3 years.)

Once all of that is over, you become fully licensed.

Hopefully that clears everything up.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

gettingmyps

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 10:53:22 am »
Is there a minimum period of time the learner's permit must be held before doing the hazard test?

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 12:00:18 pm »
+3
Is there a minimum period of time the learner's permit must be held before doing the hazard test?
I'm not 100% sure but I think think generally accepted rule is here:
In Victoria, if you are 16 you can go for your Ls, but must get the 120 hrs driving practise with 20 hrs min of night driving before you get your Ps. You must be 17yo and 11 months at hazards perception test and 18yo at Ps driving test. (And I think you need to hold your Ls for 12 months if you’re in this age range between 16-18.)

If you are 21 yo when you get your Ls, you do not need to satisfy the 120 hours, but need to wait 6 months on your Ls before going for your Ps and then pass both hazards and driving tests.

If you are younger than 21 at your Ls but 21 or over when you go for the driving test, you just have to wait 6 months as far as my  understanding goes. (In your case, you can take your Ps on your birthday, since you would’ve ticked over to 21 at driving test if you chose to take it on your birthday and have waited for 6 months already. This will be the earliest day you can take it.)

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 12:07:04 pm »
+3

If you are under 21, you need to have held your learners permit for at least a year.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

gettingmyps

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 12:11:06 pm »
If you are under 21, you need to have held your learners permit for at least a year.
is that under 21 when you get your l's or under 21 when you apply for the hazards test?

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 12:48:08 pm »
+3
is that under 21 when you get your l's or under 21 when you apply for the hazards test?

For a hazard test, for under 21's you need to have held it for a year, however, you can take it one month before you turn 18, meaning you would only have to hold it for 11 months.

If you are still unsure, call up vicroads, they are always happy to help  :)
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

gettingmyps

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 12:50:06 pm »
For a hazard test, for under 21's you need to have held it for a year, however, you can take it one month before you turn 18, meaning you would only have to hold it for 11 months.

If you are still unsure, call up vicroads, they are always happy to help  :)
sorry wdym here?

gettingmyps

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 10:35:21 pm »

Once you pass the Ps tests, you will hold your green Ps for 3 years if you’re 21+. (If you’re 18-21, you will have to hold your red Ps for 12 months and then green for another 3 years.)

Once all of that is over, you become fully licensed.

Hopefully that clears everything up.
I called up vicroads and they said I have to wait a year, since I got my l's at 20, but you said I can take it on my birthday, even though that means I would have held my l's for 10.5 months?
i'm pretty confused now

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2021, 11:27:55 pm »
+4
I called up vicroads and they said I have to wait a year, since I got my l's at 20, but you said I can take it on my birthday, even though that means I would have held my l's for 10.5 months?
i'm pretty confused now
Based on the VicRoads site, it does say 12 months continuous if your are aged under 21 years. As soon as you turn 21, that becomes a minimum of 6 months. This is easily google-able :)

See also: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/your-ps/get-your-ps/how-to-get-your-ps