Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:14 pm

Author Topic: Applying for both MD and optom  (Read 2599 times)  Share 

Xiao8

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Applying for both MD and optom
« on: March 22, 2021, 07:07:02 pm »
I was considering doing optom as a backup plan for med but then realised applications open at the same time through GEMSAS.  Can you apply for both at once at unimelb or is it a bad idea to apply for two courses at the same uni?  I've heard plenty of things like "it'll show you don't genuinely want to do MD", etc.

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: Applying for both MD and optom
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 07:33:29 pm »
+3
I was considering doing optom as a backup plan for med but then realised applications open at the same time through GEMSAS.  Can you apply for both at once at unimelb or is it a bad idea to apply for two courses at the same uni?  I've heard plenty of things like "it'll show you don't genuinely want to do MD", etc.
Hi Xiao8,

It's always good to have a backup plan, so if you are considering optom as one of your options, then it certainly won't hurt to apply. You won't be penalized for applying to both. :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 07:35:58 pm by lm21074 »
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Applying for both MD and optom
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 09:08:51 am »
+1

No one is looking at what other courses you've applied for when they consider your application, so you're all good.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd