Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:43:53 pm

Poll

Do you practise meditation?

Most days
2 (11.1%)
~Once a week
1 (5.6%)
Only when there's a reason to
3 (16.7%)
Tried it but not for me
5 (27.8%)
Seems good but eh
3 (16.7%)
Not planning on it
3 (16.7%)
Tried to, but got bored
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Does anyone meditate?  (Read 3565 times)  Share 

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Does anyone meditate?
« on: May 31, 2021, 12:57:48 pm »
+4
A lot of places seem to say how beneficial meditation is. I've only tried it a little during school/random activities, and maybe a few times by myself, but never really got into it.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has it in their routine or uses it on occasion. Why/why don't you meditate? How do you meditate? Has anyone noticed differences from doing it?
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Does anyone meditate?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 10:55:38 am »
+4
A lot of places seem to say how beneficial meditation is. I've only tried it a little during school/random activities, and maybe a few times by myself, but never really got into it.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has it in their routine or uses it on occasion. Why/why don't you meditate? How do you meditate? Has anyone noticed differences from doing it?
I haven't really done "pure" meditation personally in my own time - or at least what most people would consider meditation to be. But, I know some people think that anything can be meditation depending on the person.

Although, in high school we did have a meditation centre built at around year 9 and we had sessions run weekly.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 11:18:52 am »
+4

I learned how to properly meditate through some of the weekly lessons run in the Victorian public health system. In psychiatric hospitals, they run one or two weekly sessions and encourage you to join. I've found that it's much more beneficial to have a person leading you through the session rather than trying to self-initiate.

It does help you feel calmer and more balanced, but only on days when your mind and body are ready to accept that stillness. It may just be a personal issue of mine, but I have found that some days my mind just isn't able to settle into a meditative state, and I'll leave the session more frustrated with myself than I was going in.

Like Sine said, meditation is different for everyone. My form of working meditation would be drawing, or just sitting and listening to music. Going for a walk in nature. Caring for my garden. Petting animals.
The kind of seated meditation with breathing exercises and conscious stillness of the mind isn't for everyone. And that's okay.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

UrekMazino

• Adventurer
  • Wasting time again
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 10:14:48 pm »
+1

I meditate on my bus before any hard tests and all exams as a way to focus. Can't say there was a huge difference, but I felt like it helped somewhat. Once, I really got into the zone and saw in my imagination a place like a cave specifically for zen or something. Since then, I tried going back to that place by revisualising but all I can hear is the darn morning traffic.