Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:34:59 am

Author Topic: Benefits of the KLD program  (Read 4320 times)

kermitkenobi

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Benefits of the KLD program
« on: June 05, 2021, 08:10:28 pm »
Hi Everyone!!
Hope all of you are well, this is my first post on this forum although I've been here for a while  :)
I just got accepted to the Monash Scholars Program (yay!!) and I was wondering if it was still worth trying out for the Kwong Lee Dow Program (the applications open up in August).
I know both programs have very similar aspects and purposes, but one huge plus for the KLD program is their ATAR guarantee if you get accepted into their program.
I'm still unsure which university I would like to go to (my current goal is to get a high enough ATAR to be able to get into whichever course I want to do in either university)
Does anyone have any words of advice for me and do you think it is worth applying for the KLD program as well?
Thank you so much!! :)

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
Re: Benefits of the KLD program
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 11:45:07 pm »
Honestly the KLD really only has like 6 real benefits:
The atar guarantee as mentioned, with a 95 atar, u would prob get in anyway lol but the ability to choose ANY course which I think may include honors or something and not have to worry to much about competition is pretty sweet.
The library: Man, they have a gooooooooooood libary. Quite literally the best in the southern hemisphere, and its urs to access. U can use it to study a variety of stuff if ur doing some subjects u want extra help with or deciding to do further study alone.
It provides the chance of a scholarship if u live far away OR if u decide to study international, the money isn't a lot but it helps.
It gives u credibility, they only accept 1 person per school, so having that+the monash program will make u stand out as someone attractive and wanted by other universities and so gives u some leverage in the sense that if melburne and monash r interested in u then other programs will want u as well.
The chance to interact with other people+professors is pretty sweet, gives u some net working and I have kept up with 1 or 2 of the people I have met so far (I am KLD class of 2022)
The year 12 revision lectures would be pretty good, they are done by past examiners AND writers of the exam so they have some good notes above what Atar notes lectures can sometimes offer.
Hope this helps!
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 04:17:48 pm »
+1
Kwonger Class of 2014 here, so my info may be outdated. (Note 1: From memory, the Monash Scholars Program started with Class of 2015, so KLDYS was my only option out of the two unis. Note 2: I ended up going to Monash for uni mostly due to convenience.)
It gives u credibility, they only accept 1 person per school
Pretty sure that KLDYS accepted more than 1 person/ school. At least, this was true for my own cohort and for a number of years after, as I've heard from others. In fact, depending on how far your school is, they often accepted 2-3 students a year from a number of metropolitan Melbourne schools. Monash Scholars program had more of a record of having 1-2 students/ school, if I recall correctly, being the "younger" program.
Pre-COVID, both the KLDYS and Monash Scholars Program had a lot of networking events with discussions on future pathways and careers (probably the biggest calling card were the events). I remember doing a mock legal debate at UoM for students interested in law, getting free lunches (let's just say that I had a penchant for their brownies) and attending VCE revision lectures for some of the 'bigger', more popular subjects e.g. Methods. I certainly met and talked to a lot of people, which helped pull me out of my shell a little (I used to be very shy pre-Year 10).

To be honest, I never ended up using the library since it was a fair distance from home, but I'm sure it was helpful to others who got the chance.
I just got accepted to the Monash Scholars Program (yay!!) and I was wondering if it was still worth trying out for the Kwong Lee Dow Program (the applications open up in August).
To answer this original question though, either way, you're in a good position. Both programs are great in their own right.
Does anyone have any words of advice for me and do you think it is worth applying for the KLD program as well?
My own advice is to highlight your leadership experience during your application, and if you lack it, then whatever community-related extracurriculars you have. Since you already got into the Monash Scholars Program though, you likely already know this.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

kermitkenobi

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 05:21:48 pm »
+2
Thank you guys for your help :) I just applied for the KLD program so fingers crossed it works out!