Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 11:22:51 am

Author Topic: Does the specific syntax of pseudo-code matter in an exam?  (Read 2863 times)  Share 

ang_www

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Does the specific syntax of pseudo-code matter in an exam?
« on: June 18, 2021, 10:49:57 am »
Take this code snippet as an example:
Code: [Select]
i = 0
WHILE i < 10
    PRINT i
ENDWHILE
If I were to exclude the ENDWHILE like this:
i = 0
WHILE i < 10
    PRINT i
would I lose marks in the HSC exam. Is the specific syntax of pseudocode marked or is it just the control flow of the program?

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
Re: Does the specific syntax of pseudo-code matter in an exam?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 12:20:10 pm »
+3
Take this code snippet as an example:
i = 0
WHILE i < 10
    PRINT i
ENDWHILE
If I were to exclude the ENDWHILE like this:
i = 0
WHILE i < 10
    PRINT i
would I lose marks in the HSC exam. Is the specific syntax of pseudocode marked or is it just the control flow of the program?

Great question!

In theory - no, the marking criteria (such as the one shown below) does not specifically assess you on the syntax of your pseudocode, and focuses more on the functionality and control flow of the program as you noted:

Sample Marking Criteria

Source: 2020 HSC Software Design and Development Marking Criteria, Q26c

However, notice how the marking criteria also provides a sample solution written in pseudocode - the closer your answer is to this solution, the easier it will be for the marker to give you marks. Likewise, the more you deviate from specific pseudocode syntax, the more work the marker has to put into understanding your program to give you marks.

With the large amount of discretion afforded by HSC markers and random allocation of exam papers for marking, it wouldn't be hard for a harsh marker drop you down a mark or two for syntax if they find it difficult to understand or when combined with other minor issues.

In in that respect, I would say that syntax does matter in practice, and to try your best to adhere to the official specifications as closely as possible.

Don't stress too much over it if you can't get it perfect, but making it as easy for the markers as possible to give you marks will only benefit you in the long run.

Hope this clears things up a bit!

Let me know if you want anything clarified :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 12:49:44 pm by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора