Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:19:53 am

Author Topic: Trials study and structure  (Read 3073 times)

Maroon and Gold Never Fold

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Trials study and structure
« on: June 24, 2021, 09:55:29 pm »
Hi,
How should we study for common mod and how to we strucutre our essays? Do we centralise each paragraph around a theme or human experience? I'm a bit lost. Also, should I be memorising paragraphs or quotes?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:57:43 pm by Maroon and Gold Never Fold »

papa kwan

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Trials study and structure
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 11:00:05 am »
+1
Hi,
How should we study for common mod and how to we strucutre our essays? Do we centralise each paragraph around a theme or human experience? I'm a bit lost. Also, should I be memorising paragraphs or quotes?

Hey mate. What I did was centralise each paragraph around a theme (e.g human relations), and within each theme I'd have human experiences that showed a different aspect of that theme. For each of these experiences I'd memorise a quote + technique. That leads me to your second question- yes, I would definitely recommend memorising quotes. That way in the exam you can pick which quotes are relevant and analyse them with respect to the exam question.

Regarding memorising paragraphs (this one's a bit controversial), it may (repeat may, not will) not make any difference. Whilst some students memorise generic paragraphs (if not essays) and mould them to the question (which can be effective), this approach may not work for all. Personally, what I found was that by memorising quotes + techniques and doing practice essay/ essay plans I'd more or less memorised a generic paragraph anyway, because that revision covered most of the content of a paragraph.

Finally, it's important to consider time constraints. Ideally, you want to have memorised quotes for 4-5 paragraphs and have done practice essays with each of those, however that may not be possible depending on your exam timetable (especially for trials). I found that to be more plausible for the real HSC where you have more time but otherwise it can be difficult to do that much for trials. I'd recommend at the bare minimum, memorise 10 quotes from 3 different themes and do 2-3 practice essays (repeat, that's the minimum I'd suggest, if you can do more, definitely do more).

Good luck