Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:05:04 pm

Author Topic: Student Experiment, Unit 2  (Read 2494 times)

jinx_58

• Trendsetter
  • "I am not afraid to walk this world alone" - MCR
  • Respect: +22
Student Experiment, Unit 2
« on: July 06, 2021, 02:15:06 pm »
Hello.

I'm having trouble with finding theorised data to compare with my experimental data.

Below is my research question:
How does increasing the concentration of hydrochloric acid (0.5M, 1M and 2M) in a 20mL solution of sodium thiosulphate, impact the rate of reaction?

I've searched in a few places but I can't find results for 0.5M, 1M and 2M hydrochloric acid.

Any ideas?
Class of 2022!
Currently doing Unit 4: QCE
Physics || Chemistry ||Methods || General English || Ancient History || Religion & Ethics
My Year 12 QCE Journal!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Student Experiment, Unit 2
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 03:38:47 pm »
+2
Hey,

If you're unable to find theoretical data that exactly matches what you have done, consider whether you can find other data that shows the same trend or demonstrates the principle you're looking at :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 08:30:37 pm by Bri MT »

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 03:49:28 pm »
+3
Hey Jinx_58,
Sometimes you won't be able to find data for the exact chemicals you are working with and that is ok! You can still include the theory that is informing your report. I didn't do chemistry so my knowledge of the content is poor, but I would potentially consider briefly explaining in your rationale the 5 factors that affect reaction rates and then hone in on the fact that the concentration of a reactant is one of those factors. Write a section about why exactly this is the case and then see if you can find any data at all to support this. The data you include doesn't have to be from the exact chemical and measurements that you are using - you can still get all of the theory you need from a different chemical (you can simply extrapolate the findings so that they can be used as a prediction of what will happen when you increase the concentration of hydrochloric acid).

Nonetheless, this website has a pretty graph showing the effect that increasing the concentration of hydrochloric acid in a sodium thiosulphate solution has on the rate of reaction.

Hope this helps! :)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

jinx_58

• Trendsetter
  • "I am not afraid to walk this world alone" - MCR
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 08:27:24 pm »
My teacher said we need to have theorised data/results so we can compare it to the experimental data.

Is there a way where I can use theorised data for 10M and the results from that to compare to 2M data through a formula or something?
Class of 2022!
Currently doing Unit 4: QCE
Physics || Chemistry ||Methods || General English || Ancient History || Religion & Ethics
My Year 12 QCE Journal!