Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:40:42 am

Author Topic: Significance of Rank 1 vs Rank 2 in terms of study score in one unit?  (Read 1921 times)  Share 

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
I'm curious to know how much of a difference there is between being rank 1, rank 2 and even rank 3 depending on cohort strengths.

Hypothetically, someone gets rank 1 in Unit 3 and rank 2 or 3 in Unit 4, but the upper end is fairly strong, how much would this make a difference compared to being rank 1 in both units (assume here that the subjects GA's are split between u3, u4 and exam). For instance, would the former case make it too difficult to attain say 45+?

Additionally, how would being rank 2 or 3 in both units stack up against the initial case that I mentioned?
2021: ATAR: 99.95
2022-2024: University of Melbourne, BSci (Major in Mathematics and Statistics)

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Significance of Rank 1 vs Rank 2 in terms of study score in one unit?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 05:01:53 pm »
+2
This isn't really a question that can be answered thoroughly and accurately without fully explaining SAC statistical moderation and the calculation of study scores (which, to my knowledge, no one has on this forum).

The shortest accurate answer is that it really depends on what the top exam scores are in your cohort. Basically, if you are ranked 2nd or 3rd, each of the top quartile of exam scores within your cohort will influence your SAC GA score. It is often stated that if you are ranked (for example) 2nd your SAC GA score will be the 2nd highest exam score in your cohort, but this is a rough approximation only.

This is only your SAC GA score, of course. Your study score is a weighted average of each of your GA scores, including the exam. If you do brilliantly on the exam, that will of course push your study score up. It is entirely possible to be ranked below 1st and get a 50, even if no one else in your cohort gets a 50.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Significance of Rank 1 vs Rank 2 in terms of study score in one unit?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 06:01:58 pm »
+1
I'm curious to know how much of a difference there is between being rank 1, rank 2 and even rank 3 depending on cohort strengths.

Hypothetically, someone gets rank 1 in Unit 3 and rank 2 or 3 in Unit 4, but the upper end is fairly strong, how much would this make a difference compared to being rank 1 in both units (assume here that the subjects GA's are split between u3, u4 and exam). For instance, would the former case make it too difficult to attain say 45+?

Additionally, how would being rank 2 or 3 in both units stack up against the initial case that I mentioned?
If the cohort is quite strong e.g. multiple being going to be scoring close to a 50 then whether you are rank 1, 2, 3 doesn't have that much relevance as long as you are in that strong group and everyone in that group does relatively well on the exam.

It isn't uncommon for someone who is not rank 1 to get the highest study score in the cohort.