Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:26:25 am

Author Topic: How is your ranking using to scale your exam derived?  (Read 3074 times)  Share 

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
How is your ranking using to scale your exam derived?
« on: August 31, 2021, 01:10:38 pm »
So I’ve been told, your ‘scaled’ unit 3 and 4 marks are derived from your rankings from unit 3 and 4, respectively (for subjects where GA1=u3 and GA2=u4).

But for the exam, I also know that part of your ‘scaled’ score comes from your sac ranking and taking the nth ranked exam score (where n is your sac rank). BUT, which unit’s ranking do they take? Or do they aggregate unit 3 and 4 rankings?

Confused, I am.
2021: ATAR: 99.95
2022-2024: University of Melbourne, BSci (Major in Mathematics and Statistics)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: How is your ranking using to scale your exam derived?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 02:23:52 pm »
+2
So I’ve been told, your ‘scaled’ unit 3 and 4 marks are derived from your rankings from unit 3 and 4, respectively (for subjects where GA1=u3 and GA2=u4).

But for the exam, I also know that part of your ‘scaled’ score comes from your sac ranking and taking the nth ranked exam score (where n is your sac rank). BUT, which unit’s ranking do they take? Or do they aggregate unit 3 and 4 rankings?

Confused, I am.

Your exam score is never changed and is not scaled.

However, your cohort's exam scores are used to scale the sacs from the students in that cohort. If you are different ranks for unit 3 and unit 4 your sacs may scaled differently.

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 03:51:55 pm »
Your exam score is never changed and is not scaled.

However, your cohort's exam scores are used to scale the sacs from the students in that cohort. If you are different ranks for unit 3 and unit 4 your sacs may scaled differently.
Ah ok thanks. So you’re saying I’ve been lied to my whole life when I was told that your effective exam score is a mix a ‘rank adjusted exam score’ and your own exam score??
2021: ATAR: 99.95
2022-2024: University of Melbourne, BSci (Major in Mathematics and Statistics)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 08:11:34 pm »
+2
Ah ok thanks. So you’re saying I’ve been lied to my whole life when I was told that your effective exam score is a mix a ‘rank adjusted exam score’ and your own exam score??
Yeah, the exam score is the only thing that is already standardised (since every student sits the same exam) so there isn't any point in using sacs to moderate an exam score. However, sacs on the other hand differ between schools in terms of difficulty so how the cohort goes on the exam is used to standardise sac scores.

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 12:13:09 am »
I thought your exam score would change based on your ranking, so if your 5th in the cohrt u ge tthe 5th highest exam score for your exam mark, and ur sacs are moderated based on ur origanal exam mark?
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 05:51:01 pm »
I thought your exam score would change based on your ranking, so if your 5th in the cohrt u ge tthe 5th highest exam score for your exam mark, and ur sacs are moderated based on ur origanal exam mark?
Your eam score won't change. It really wouldn't be far for someone to be allocated the highest exam score just based on sacs. Teachers are not always equitable so this would ramp up and also exacerbate corruption.