Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:39:53 pm

Author Topic: is it still possible for me to get 99+  (Read 5811 times)

Sreeeni

• Adventurer
  • amogh
is it still possible for me to get 99+
« on: December 22, 2021, 03:26:32 pm »
Hi guys i did Bio this year and got a study score of 40.
I was wondering if i have a good chance of getting 99+ with this study score. I wasnt too happy with this study score since i dont know if your year 11 subject is usually a bottom two subject. i really want this to be my bottom 2. i see atar reaction videos and from the ones i see their year 11 subject is usually their top 4

VCEStudent2034

• Trendsetter
  • ‘Believe you can and you’re halfway there.’ - T.R.
Re: is it still possible for me to get 99+
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 03:45:48 pm »
I was wondering if i have a good chance of getting 99+ with this study score. I wasnt too happy with this study score since i dont know if your year 11 subject is usually a bottom two subject. i really want this to be my bottom 2. i see atar reaction videos and from the ones i see their year 11 subject is usually their top 4

Hi Sreeeni!

First of all, 40 is an amazing study score, so don’t be too hard on yourself!

I am in a similar position. I just finished yr 11 and got a raw Study Score of 37 for Methods (goes to 42), but I was really disappointed because I wanted a 45+. I am also aiming for a 99+ ATAR. As long as you are doing 5 or 6 subjects altogether, you can definitely get 99+, provided Bio is in your bottom two. Then it really doesn’t make much of a difference whether you got a 40 or 50, because only 10% would count towards your aggregate anyway. It is true that a lot of the time, students’ year 11 subject is in their bottom two, but it really depends on the person. Don’t lose hope, just try and smash it next year!

All the best!

Golgi Apparatus

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 05:03:20 pm »
I got low 40s in bio in year 11 and got 99+. Bio was my 5th subject, so a year 11 subject can definitely be in the bottom 2. I think you could definitely get 99+ if you do well next year.

Doing a year 12 subject in year 11 is great because it gives you a ‘trial run’ of VCE, that you can improve on in year 12. If you were disappointed with your score, have a think about what you did well and what you could do better next year.

Good luck for year 12!
VCE
2020: Biology
2021: Chemistry | English Language | Further | Methods | Psychology

2022: Bachelor of Biomedicine (UoM)

Sreeeni

• Adventurer
  • amogh
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 10:10:13 am »
I got low 40s in bio in year 11 and got 99+. Bio was my 5th subject, so a year 11 subject can definitely be in the bottom 2. I think you could definitely get 99+ if you do well next year.

Doing a year 12 subject in year 11 is great because it gives you a ‘trial run’ of VCE, that you can improve on in year 12. If you were disappointed with your score, have a think about what you did well and what you could do better next year.

Good luck for year 12!

Hi Golgi Apparatus, im not sure if i can ask but what was your study scores and atar?

Golgi Apparatus

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 04:22:56 pm »
Hi Sreeeni, sorry for the late reply.
I got a 99.40 ATAR. I got a 42 in biology (year 11), 37 in methods, 43 in English language, 45 in chemistry, 48 in further and 48 in psychology.
VCE

GreenNinja

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 03:00:37 pm »
Hi Sreeeni, sorry for the late reply.
I got a 99.40 ATAR. I got a 42 in biology (year 11), 37 in methods, 43 in English language, 45 in chemistry, 48 in further and 48 in psychology.

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking. Your atar is quite high, but on a recent post I saw that you had gone for biomedicine instead of directly for medicine? (I predict you are trying to go for medicine, but why didn't you go staight into it. Is a higher atar required for medicine?)

Thanks

neurostuff

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 04:41:18 pm »

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking. Your atar is quite high, but on a recent post I saw that you had gone for biomedicine instead of directly for medicine? (I predict you are trying to go for medicine, but why didn't you go staight into it. Is a higher atar required for medicine?)

Thanks

For medicine, you need to a high atar. Most unis will accept a 99.95 with a UCAT score. In other cases a 99.9 will also be accepted.

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 04:57:43 pm »

Hi,

Thanks

Bruh you probably just asked the most offensive thing possible to a biomed student. Most people doing biomed with cracked ATARs (think 99+) had originally aimed for medicine, but due to low UMAT (now UCAT) scores, they're forced to go down the postgrad entry (GAMSAT) pathway via biomed. This is so well-known in the biomed cohort that we even have the saying "Never ask a woman her age. Never ask a man his salary. But above all, never ask a biomed student their UCAT score".
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 05:54:04 pm »

For medicine, you need to a high atar. Most unis will accept a 99.95 with a UCAT score. In other cases a 99.9 will also be accepted.

This is not true. That is only the case for USYD. Most other universities typically require a 99+ but can be lower depending on your circumstances - SEAS, Rural etc

Here's a good collation of Medicine offers and their associated scores for Monash in 2020 - https://medstudentsonline.com.au/forum/threads/aus-med-and-dent-place-offers-2020-collated-data.35858/#:~:text=Monash%20University%20%2D%20Medicine
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Golgi Apparatus

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 09:25:47 pm »

Hi,

Thanks

I’m not interested in doing medicine, I’m more interested in research :)

As others have mentioned, the ATAR is not the only requirement for undergraduate medicine. I believe there is also the ucat and an interview, so if someone got a high ATAR but didn’t get into/apply for medicine, they might not have done as well in one of those.
VCE

GreenNinja

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 09:48:43 am »
Hi

Sorry  for my question coming out. In a mean way. :-[
I had always thought that a 99 atar was all u really needed with some okay UCAT score (90%+ out of the participants).
What kind of scores do you predict is needed for a good chance of med entry undergraduat?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 09:50:28 am by GreenNinja »

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 11:55:12 am »
Hi

Sorry  for my question coming out. In a mean way. :-[
I had always thought that a 99 atar was all u really needed with some okay UCAT score (90%+ out of the participants).
What kind of scores do you predict is needed for a good chance of med entry undergraduat?

You are right, generally an ATAR of 99+ and a UCAT of 90%ile+ will confidently get you an interview. A higher score in one can also compensate for a lower score in the other.
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

GreenNinja

• Trailblazer
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 03:11:59 pm »
You are right, generally an ATAR of 99+ and a UCAT of 90%ile+ will confidently get you an interview. A higher score in one can also compensate for a lower score in the other.

Thanks very much  :D

Yazhu

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 08:01:32 pm »

hiiii... that is an amazing study score I am thinking of taking bio next year but not too sure because of the study design change... do you have any tips please?