Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:41:19 am

Poll

bachelor of science vs bachelor of biomedicine

science
2 (33.3%)
biomed
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: bachelor of science vs bachelor of biomedicine  (Read 2367 times)  Share 

haf9123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
bachelor of science vs bachelor of biomedicine
« on: January 04, 2022, 10:55:37 pm »
hi guys,

I am trying to choose between going into science or biomedicine next year. I enjoy science, especially biology, and am planning on doing a post-grad course related to health care (not 100% decided as I am currently trying to find what I enjoy doing). If I enroll into science next year, I can enter as a 2nd year student as I am eligible for credit transfer but if i choose biomedicine, I have to start from year 1. I have also heard that science is less stressful as compared to biomedicine. However, I am very indecisive and i know that science requires me to choose all my subjects whereas biomed has set core subjects that will allow me to have fulfilled more prerequisites so that I can be able to have more choices for post grad courses. (I have no idea what post grad course I want to do so having more choices may be more beneficial) My interests also lie more in human science so would biomedicine be a better choice for me?

Sorry for the long message but if anyone could give me advice or tips on choosing between science or biomed, that would be really appreciated.

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
Re: bachelor of science vs bachelor of biomedicine
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 04:13:08 am »
hi guys,

I am trying to choose between going into science or biomedicine next year. I enjoy science, especially biology, and am planning on doing a post-grad course related to health care (not 100% decided as I am currently trying to find what I enjoy doing). If I enroll into science next year, I can enter as a 2nd year student as I am eligible for credit transfer but if i choose biomedicine, I have to start from year 1. I have also heard that science is less stressful as compared to biomedicine. However, I am very indecisive and i know that science requires me to choose all my subjects whereas biomed has set core subjects that will allow me to have fulfilled more prerequisites so that I can be able to have more choices for post grad courses. (I have no idea what post grad course I want to do so having more choices may be more beneficial) My interests also lie more in human science so would biomedicine be a better choice for me?

Sorry for the long message but if anyone could give me advice or tips on choosing between science or biomed, that would be really appreciated.

I'll just provide some insight from the perspective of a biomed student going for med. If you're going for Monash postgrad med, then biomed is better due to the reserved spots. If you're going for med in the GEMSAS unis (ie anywhere else except Monash), science is better since the units are slightly easier than the biomed equivalent, which means WAM + GPA maintenance is easier (GEMSAS focuses on GPA over WAM). By extension of the above, there's no real advantage to doing unimelb biomed over unimelb science. Science degrees might benefit from a less toxic atmosphere than biomed ones, maybe due to the decreases competition. As you said, science offers you greater freedom of choice in terms of units to complete
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree