Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:33:48 am

Author Topic: Anyone need help with preparing for the selective exam?  (Read 18301 times)  Share 

Shanan :D

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Anyone need help with preparing for the selective exam?
« on: January 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm »
+2
Thought I would help out others for the selective exam as this website has helped me get into the school that I want :)

Leave questions on this thread if you want!

Sqka

• Fresh Poster
Re: Anyone need help with preparing for the selective exam?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 08:26:43 pm »
Hey I sat the exam this year so I’m not really asking for help but I’m just curious about if you made it in and if so, which school ? :)  ;D

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 09:14:13 pm »
Hey I sat the exam this year so I’m not really asking for help but I’m just curious about if you made it in and if so, which school ? :)  ;D

I made it into Melbourne High which was my first preference (:

What about you?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 09:16:16 pm by Shanan :D »

sodacat_

• Trailblazer
  • 「七転び八起き。」- Fall seven times, get up eight.
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 09:19:21 pm »
+1
Hi! I'm hoping to take the Selective Schools Test this year (I'm unsure of whether I want to move schools or not, however, I'd like to do the tests anyway) in the hopes that I can test to get into Year 11. Do you have any good online studying resources I could use? Thank you so much for this thread!
2022: VCE Japanese SL 1/2 []

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 09:32:14 pm »
+1
Hi! I'm hoping to take the Selective Schools Test this year (I'm unsure of whether I want to move schools or not, however, I'd like to do the tests anyway) in the hopes that I can test to get into Year 11. Do you have any good online studying resources I could use? Thank you so much for this thread!

Hello there!

For Year 11 Entry, I am fairly sure that you need to be really good in Art/Humanities and also (I am uncertain if this applies for other schools however,) Melbourne High forces you to take at least two units in the arts and humanities domain (people who choose than two of these subjects in the domain will be prioritised. )

In terms of actual study resources though, I don't have many, I used many Signpost and Cambridge math textbooks for mathematics and read a lot for English (although the English test was really easy.) For writing, however, I had to use my older sibling's Henderson prompts as well as the older workshops from Hendersons (although I didn't need it as writing got cancelled.)

Hope this helps!

sodacat_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 09:38:52 pm »
+1
Hello there!

For Year 11 Entry, I am fairly sure that you need to be really good in Art/Humanities and also (I am uncertain if this applies for other schools however,) Melbourne High forces you to take at least two units in the arts and humanities domain (people who choose than two of these subjects in the domain will be prioritised. )

In terms of actual study resources though, I don't have many, I used many Signpost and Cambridge math textbooks for mathematics and read a lot for English (although the English test was really easy.) For writing, however, I had to use my older sibling's Henderson prompts as well as the older workshops from Hendersons (although I didn't need it as writing got cancelled.)

Hope this helps!

Are these units meaning VCE subjects? I thought the tests themselves were based on English, Math, problem solving, etc? I won't be applying for Melbourne High (it's a boys only school and I'm a girl) but I will be wary of it for other schools because it might be prevalent there as well. And thank you for the resources, I'll keep them in mind :)

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 09:44:56 pm »
+1
Are these units meaning VCE subjects? I thought the tests themselves were based on English, Math, problem solving, etc? I won't be applying for Melbourne High (it's a boys only school and I'm a girl) but I will be wary of it for other schools because it might be prevalent there as well. And thank you for the resources, I'll keep them in mind :)

Yes, the Units mean VCE Subjects. The test is based on English and Math, however, in the later years (year 10/11 entry) they look for students with different talents and the actual test itself plays a small amount for the selection process. In year 10 entry, I know that they pick people with some extracurricular activities and in year 11 from what I see, they look for people with artistic abilities.

Scilover

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 10:07:50 pm »
I'm trying out for select entry Year 11 too. What school do you currently attend? @sodacat_

Sqka

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 10:13:02 pm »
I made it into Melbourne High which was my first preference (:

What about you?

Ahh congrats! I made it into nossal :)

Scilover

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 10:18:37 pm »
Is anyone trying out for JMSS Year 11 entry as well?

Sanju271

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2022, 10:43:54 pm »
Hi Sannon

Thankx for offering help and congrats for your selection. I am sitting for test this year for year 9 entry. Can you please guide in details for preparing for verbal reasoning test as my vocabulary is very week.
Also please share your strategies for preparing each test in details if you can - like which coaching, books etc....

regards
Sanju

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 10:52:18 am »
Hi Sannon

Thankx for offering help and congrats for your selection. I am sitting for test this year for year 9 entry. Can you please guide in details for preparing for verbal reasoning test as my vocabulary is very week.
Also please share your strategies for preparing each test in details if you can - like which coaching, books etc....

regards
Sanju

In terms of Vocabulary, the test was not too bad. You need to know literary devices such as oxymorons, similes, metaphors, etc... I recall that there were words such as luminous on the exam but other than that, I do not know too much.

I did not go to any coaching, instead, I did a lot of self-study, going through the Cambridge mathematics year 9 textbook and the Signpost year 10 mathematics textbook multiple times. For Verbal Reasoning, I didn't do much, I strengthened my Vocabulary using Vocabulary.com and I also read a bunch of books. Another important thing that I remember from the Verbal Reasoning Exam was that there was quite a lot of image interpreting.

Scilover

• Trailblazer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 03:26:07 pm »

No way :) I'm trying out for select entry Year 11 too! What school/schools are you applying for and where do you currently attend?

sodacat_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 05:49:45 pm »
No way :) I'm trying out for select entry Year 11 too! What school/schools are you applying for and where do you currently attend?

I'll (hopefully) be applying for Mac Rob Girls, Nossal and Suzanne Cory perhaps? I'm not too sure about JMSS. And I'd rather keep my current school private, but I can say that it's public.

Scilover

• Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 05:57:41 pm »
+1
I'll (hopefully) be applying for Mac Rob Girls, Nossal and Suzanne Cory perhaps? I'm not too sure about JMSS. And I'd rather keep my current school private, but I can say that it's public.

Good luck, wishing the best for u if do try out :)