Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:36:07 am

Author Topic: Anyone need help with preparing for the selective exam?  (Read 18307 times)  Share 

Scilover

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Anyone need help with preparing for the selective exam?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2022, 06:06:22 pm »
I'll (hopefully) be applying for Mac Rob Girls, Nossal and Suzanne Cory perhaps? I'm not too sure about JMSS. And I'd rather keep my current school private, but I can say that it's public.

Are you in a seal program?

sodacat_

• Trailblazer
  • 「七転び八起き。」- Fall seven times, get up eight.
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 06:09:09 pm »
Good luck, wishing the best for u if do try out :)
Good luck to you as well :)
Are you in a seal program?
My school actually doesn't have one unfortunately
2022: VCE Japanese SL 1/2 []

Scilover

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 06:13:10 pm »
Good luck to you as well :)My school actually doesn't have one unfortunately

ani2022

• Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 09:51:12 am »
Hi I took the Selective School Exam in 2021.I also got all superiors and got into the school of my choice. I wanted to share my experience on the exam and some tips and tricks so see below for a YouTube video I made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5xPea-Q4xY

Thatsme

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 10:22:41 pm »
Hello there!

For Year 11 Entry, I am fairly sure that you need to be really good in Art/Humanities and also (I am uncertain if this applies for other schools however,) Melbourne High forces you to take at least two units in the arts and humanities domain (people who choose than two of these subjects in the domain will be prioritised. )

In terms of actual study resources though, I don't have many, I used many Signpost and Cambridge math textbooks for mathematics and read a lot for English (although the English test was really easy.) For writing, however, I had to use my older sibling's Henderson prompts as well as the older workshops from Hendersons (although I didn't need it as writing got cancelled.)

Hope this helps!

Can you please share henderson prompts.

Shanan :D

• Trailblazer
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2022, 07:52:15 pm »
Can you please share henderson prompts.

Do you mean writing prompts?

Thatsme

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2022, 11:56:12 am »
Do you mean writing prompts?
Writing, numerical, verbal, maths and RC

Shanan :D

• Trailblazer
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2022, 05:28:41 pm »
Writing, numerical, verbal, maths and RC

I don't know if I am legally allowed to distribute it because it is copyrighted. :I

ani2022

• Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2022, 06:47:39 pm »
Hi Sannon

Thankx for offering help and congrats for your selection. I am sitting for test this year for year 9 entry. Can you please guide in details for preparing for verbal reasoning test as my vocabulary is very week.
Also please share your strategies for preparing each test in details if you can - like which coaching, books etc....

regards
Sanju
Hi Sanju
I am sharing some tips on my youtube channel and  will be adding more  more  for Maths and Vocabulary in coming days .Please  watch my tips and like and subscribe if useful for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5xPea-Q4xY&t=47s

zZVoid

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2022, 07:15:16 pm »
I'm applying for year 10 MHS as I flopped the year 9 test.
Anyway, what resources do you recommend to prepare for the year 10 test? For the test and interview. What should I put on my application form? I hear that playing sports and music helps a lot. I am looking to join a sport club this year but other than that I've been to a few sport tournaments (basketball and volleyball) and I don't do instruments but they don't interest me. How many people apply for year 10, I just want to calculate my chances. Please don't hold back on saying anything, the more the better.

Also if you are a year 9 applying here you go:
- Buy the edutest tests as they are the most accurate (most others arent).
- I heard james an is the best tutor to go to (i didnt go but i know friends that got in and did).
- Numerical reasoning was the toughest for everyone that did the test, practice the time it takes to process questions.
- For math i cant stress this enough but PLEASE learn to do trigonometry QUICKLY and ACCURATELY, aswell as pythag and all the other topics.
- Revise the topics for math a few weeks before.
- Don't cramp before the test, just get a good nights sleep and a few brain teasers in the morning.
- Underline in reading comprehension

I can't give writing tips because it was cancelled for covid reasons.

Remember speed is super important, how fast you do everything is the most important and hardest thing to do. Just do lots of practice tests under timed conditions. Learning the topics is the easy part.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 08:10:40 pm by zZVoid »

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2022, 02:59:19 pm »
Hello!

I am also trying out for a year 10 position in Macrob since I failed the Year 9 test. From the tips that I've read, I think that the exam is pretty similar to the year 9 one.

They want to select a student who is well-rounded and who not only focuses on studying but is also social and participates in many co-curricular activities. Activities such as sports, playing an instrument, debating, volunteering, etc are very helpful.

I believe that they also look at your year 8 and/or 9 progress reports.

My advice would be to start focusing more on school in year 9 since you kind of already prepared for the test last year. Try and participate in many co-curricular activities and stuff that might make you a more talented student.

More information and tips are also available on the MHS website.

Good Luck!

Dave S

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2022, 12:25:11 am »
Thought I would help out others for the selective exam as this website has helped me get into the school that I want :)

Leave questions on this thread if you want!
I wanted to ask if there are any tips, i am currently in SEAL so a lot of the topics are covered but i am still strugling with english as SEAL doesnt cover this. I also struggle with time. If you have any tips and moc Papers that would be great. Thanks.

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2022, 05:12:06 pm »
For time, I would suggest that you do a lot of worksheets for different math topics. Keep practicing and practicing the same question. Then you'll see that you're improving with time managemt in practice tests.

Also, don't get stuck on one question. Skip questions if you can't do them and go to the ones that are easy but make sure that while you're skipping, you're keeping track of what question you are at so that you don't mark the wrong answers on the answer sheet.

Ultimately, my advice to you is that practice and practice. Print out worksheets for yourself and do them. I did that and I improved a lot. I could do complex math problems really really fast.

Good Luck!

HiKal

• Adventurer
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2022, 07:04:06 pm »
hey im doing the victorian selective school exam this year and i just want to know what i should study for verbal reasoning

zZVoid

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2022, 08:08:23 pm »
hey I'm doing the victorian selective school exam this year and i just want to know what i should study for verbal reasoning

Verbal (for me and basically everyone) had the easiest questions but don't get hung up on long questions, just remember it and skip to the next. Try to finish most questions in under 25 seconds to make time for checking answers and whatnot.

And onto what u should study:
Read news site pages like https://www.heraldsun.com.au/ it will also help for ur writing.
There are a few strategies I know were used but this is one regarding syllogism that helped me a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev2SkXJVAbA

Also advice I wish I got before doing the test, its easy to get distracted because of how quiet the place is, don't look around and zone into what ur doing. Don't look at others and how fast they're going and what question they're on, don't waste a second. Speed is extremely important. Everyone says this because its what matters most. Rather than spending 2 minutes on 1 question, guess it so you have more time to do the others. HMU on discord (zZVoid#1717) if u need help with anything else, I have some resources. If you really want to get in, study hard or you'll regret it, trust me.