Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:36:56 am

Author Topic: How do I figure out what I want to do for a job?  (Read 2911 times)  Share 

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
How do I figure out what I want to do for a job?
« on: January 22, 2022, 05:09:58 pm »
+4
A lot of people say you should enter a career that relates to what you're passionate about, but what if there isn't a secure job that aligns with your interests, within Australia?

I'm really interested in rocket science/aerospace engineering and love the works of NASA and SpaceX. However, I do not want to make the commitment to move to America to work for a space agency like NASA.
"It's not about being nice, it's about doing the right thing."

miyukiaura

• Trendsetter
  • per aspera ad astra
  • Respect: +3
Re: How do I figure out what I want to do for a job?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 10:14:09 am »
+2
^ Bump because I'm also interested in working in space
Offering 50 raw English tutoring, PM for details

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 11:41:25 am »
+7
Snip
Snip

Here are my two cents as a physics student who has friends interested in aerospace/astrophysics.

If you want to work in aerospace engineering, there is going to be a high chance that you will have to move overseas. Currently, Australia unlike the rest of the world is very new to the idea of research and everything related to the aerospace/physics area. The industry is growing right now and will eventually have high demand later on.

In aerospace engineering, you most likely would be working for a space agency, however, the major ones are overseas currently. In the future, they may be a chance Australia would have created its own, however, this would be far on in the future. We do have the Australian Space Agency currently which you may be able to get an internship depending on your connections. Also, consider joining clubs and competitions in uni to gain more information about the area. I know from a Unimelb perspective both the physics and aerospace club have opportunities to construct items such as rovers and satellites which I would definitely look into when the time comes. (I'm actually doing a project right now of constructing a specific telescope for astrophysics use so there are definitely opportunities!)

You can also get an internship or project opportunity through universities in Australia. Most universities are developing their own space equipment so options aren't as limited as you think. (They will be hard to find but they are there if you search hard enough)

If you are really interested in aerospace at places like NASA but don't want to move, I would consider which one to you is more important, the idea of being in Australia or moving overseas to do your dream career.

Hope that helps and feel free to PM if you have any other questions ;D

sewusuwur

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 02:24:48 am »
I don't even know what to recommend because I think that the person must focus on what they like and choose a career basing on own preferences.