Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:20:47 am

Author Topic: Getting a high ATAR without a tutor?  (Read 5086 times)  Share 

benatural

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Getting a high ATAR without a tutor?
« on: February 02, 2022, 06:56:27 pm »
Hey guys! This is my first post here  8)

This something I'm quite worried about, would it be possible to get a 95+ ATAR without a tutor?

Although I do have access to tutoring, and am currently being tutored right now, all tutoring has done for me is give me anxiety. I can't focus in tutoring sessions, and I have no clue why but I am just incredibly incompatible with all tutors.

My current one is advanced, and way too fast paced and intensive for my liking. Maybe it's because I haven't met the right tutor or whatever, but I feel much more comfortable when I study on my own. I did unit 2 physics for fun in year 10, and despite not doing tutoring I managed to pull through with high scores and I learnt a lot. I have no problem understanding concepts and practising.

However, it's a big goal of mine to get a 95+ atar. I'm worried that if I don't have tutoring I'll fall and end up with a low atar, especially as I'm not the smartest person in the world. But at the same time, tutoring is basically ineffective for me, and I honestly do think I have the dedication to get a decent atar at least. Does anyone have any advice?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Getting a high ATAR without a tutor?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 07:09:32 pm »
+2
Hey,

Welcome to the forums :)

A couple of thoughts here:

- Yes, it's possible to get a 95+ ATAR without tutoring. (e.g. I got a 98.30 without tutoring)
- It sounds like this tutoring style isn't right for you
     - you could find that you benefit from other tutoring (it sounds like you may benefit more from a slower paced class style or one on one / small group)
     - you may also find that you don't want regular tutoring but sometimes want to book in if you're struggling with a particular topic
     - tutoring for a subject like English can be quite different than for a subject like physics

Also going to note here that a "decent" or "low" ATAR is highly subjective. Most importantly, I can't say whether you would or not (with or without tutoring, 95+ means top 5% of scores and so is very competitive) but yes it IS possible to achieve 95+ without tutoring.

I hope this helps :)

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 07:10:25 pm »
+1
Absoloutly not, tutoring is only good for if you wish to go extra fast and need guidance or if ur struggling IMO. If u r a proficent self learner or are comfortable with the pace of the class then I probably wouldn't recommend it. It seems like you are very equipt to learn difficult content by yourself, so if the tutoring is simply giving you anxiety then don't waste your money.
Tutoring will only help as much as the person wants it to, if tutoring isn't for u then ditch it and do it yourself, you are more likely to do well instead of being anxious, a 95 is still something you can do, prehaps even easier than with a tutor if thats ur preference.
Few of the people who get 90+ atars ARE the smartest in terms of raw intelligence, they are smart sure, but that intelligence comes from the recongnition that if they didn't have to put any work in to gey a 99/95 atar then they wouldn't still be in high school. Hard work and consistency will always trump something like a tutor.
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 07:18:05 pm »
+1
Hey guys! This is my first post here  8)

This something I'm quite worried about, would it be possible to get a 95+ ATAR without a tutor?

Although I do have access to tutoring, and am currently being tutored right now, all tutoring has done for me is give me anxiety. I can't focus in tutoring sessions, and I have no clue why but I am just incredibly incompatible with all tutors.

My current one is advanced, and way too fast paced and intensive for my liking. Maybe it's because I haven't met the right tutor or whatever, but I feel much more comfortable when I study on my own. I did unit 2 physics for fun in year 10, and despite not doing tutoring I managed to pull through with high scores and I learnt a lot. I have no problem understanding concepts and practising.

However, it's a big goal of mine to get a 95+ atar. I'm worried that if I don't have tutoring I'll fall and end up with a low atar, especially as I'm not the smartest person in the world. But at the same time, tutoring is basically ineffective for me, and I honestly do think I have the dedication to get a decent atar at least. Does anyone have any advice?

I got a 98.10 without tutoring, so it's certainly possible. However, if you want to pursue undergrad medicine, you often need 99+ ATAR, and I personally found the mid-high 40s study scores (for 99+ ATAR) hard to access for the STEM subjects I did since I didn't get tutored and the cohort is usually super competitive. This can be a blessing in disguise since I figured out how to study independently, which is what uni is all about.
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree

benatural

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 09:13:28 pm »
Hey,

Welcome to the forums :)

A couple of thoughts here:

- Yes, it's possible to get a 95+ ATAR without tutoring. (e.g. I got a 98.30 without tutoring)
- It sounds like this tutoring style isn't right for you
     - you could find that you benefit from other tutoring (it sounds like you may benefit more from a slower paced class style or one on one / small group)
     - you may also find that you don't want regular tutoring but sometimes want to book in if you're struggling with a particular topic
     - tutoring for a subject like English can be quite different than for a subject like physics

Also going to note here that a "decent" or "low" ATAR is highly subjective. Most importantly, I can't say whether you would or not (with or without tutoring, 95+ means top 5% of scores and so is very competitive) but yes it IS possible to achieve 95+ without tutoring.

I hope this helps :)

Thank you! I do agree with your notes, personally I would prefer a slower teaching style but as my teachers are pretty good, and I'm not struggling, I'm not thoroughly concerned with further tutoring.

benatural

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 09:15:59 pm »
+1
Absoloutly not, tutoring is only good for if you wish to go extra fast and need guidance or if ur struggling IMO. If u r a proficent self learner or are comfortable with the pace of the class then I probably wouldn't recommend it. It seems like you are very equipt to learn difficult content by yourself, so if the tutoring is simply giving you anxiety then don't waste your money.
Tutoring will only help as much as the person wants it to, if tutoring isn't for u then ditch it and do it yourself, you are more likely to do well instead of being anxious, a 95 is still something you can do, prehaps even easier than with a tutor if thats ur preference.
Few of the people who get 90+ atars ARE the smartest in terms of raw intelligence, they are smart sure, but that intelligence comes from the recongnition that if they didn't have to put any work in to gey a 99/95 atar then they wouldn't still be in high school. Hard work and consistency will always trump something like a tutor.

Thank you for this! I agree that hard work is the most important, and I don't think a tutor is worth it for me atp.

benatural

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 09:19:12 pm »
+1
I got a 98.10 without tutoring, so it's certainly possible. However, if you want to pursue undergrad medicine, you often need 99+ ATAR, and I personally found the mid-high 40s study scores (for 99+ ATAR) hard to access for the STEM subjects I did since I didn't get tutored and the cohort is usually super competitive. This can be a blessing in disguise since I figured out how to study independently, which is what uni is all about.

That's a great score in my book, thank you for sharing. I don't know if I want to pursue medicine, but I'm thinking I'd rather get tutoring only if I need rather than to advance myself. I agree that self-study is soo important, my friends/family in uni seem to struggle with it  :P

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 08:41:53 am »
The query on this link is about getting the 95+ ATAR score without the tutor. The problem continues with the access to tutoring, and more specifically, the tutoring is giving headaches to the candidate. He feels like he can't focus on the tutoring sessions and is not sure why that is so; these sessions are making him incompatible with the tutoring sessions. He finds the one tutor to be fast-paced for his liking also advanced and intense to him. Individual studying gave him much more satisfaction and is comfortable. He is worried about scoring the 95+ in the ATAR and fears that if he doesn't have tutoring, he will fail and get the low ATAR, and at the same, the tutoring is ineffective to him.
The discussion to the query follows with the positive answers and gives him hopes that he can secure the 95+ in ATAR without tutoring.
Sorry, its the morning so im kinda dumb rn but what is the relevence here?
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 03:56:49 pm »
+2
Sorry, its the morning so im kinda dumb rn but what is the relevence here?

Appears to be a bot of some kind to me (look at account's other posts).
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care