Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:40:52 pm

Author Topic: Ask me Anything - ANU edition :)  (Read 4805 times)  Share 

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
Ask me Anything - ANU edition :)
« on: February 25, 2022, 12:34:46 pm »
+8
Hello AN fam!

My name is Eloise and in 2021, I completed the VCE in Melbourne. This year, I have taken the step to move to the Australian National University in Canberra. I am currently staying in one of the residences and studying Commerce and PPE.

I certainly had lots of questions about studying and moving to the ANU - so I made this thread to try and answer any of your guys’ questions :)

From early entry to accomodation and everything in between, I would love to help you all!

Eloise :D
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Ask me Anything - ANU edition :)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 03:57:41 pm »
+3
Nice one! Thanks for this.

I'd actually love to hear more about PPE - how are you finding this aspect of study, and has it met your expectations in terms of the content you're covering? This is something I'd potentially be interested in in future.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

beep boop

• Trendsetter
  • studying, what is that?
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 08:54:52 pm »
+2
Hi Eloise!

Out of curiosity, what made you chose ANU and not any of the local unis in melb?
class of '22
'21: viet sl [36], bio
'22: psych, methods, spesh, chem, eng lang
"Distance makes the heart grow fonder and proximity makes the heart want to barf."-Mr K, Never have I Ever
yr 12 stuff :)

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 12:02:43 pm »
+5
I'd actually love to hear more about PPE - how are you finding this aspect of study, and has it met your expectations in terms of the content you're covering? This is something I'd potentially be interested in in future.
PPE is a pretty unique course, it covers each area separately as well as the interdisciplinary nature of the 3 areas! This semester, I am doing microeconomics and introduction to politics, and they are both very interesting! It is only the first week but both subjects are exceeding my expectations. Micro is really interesting to me as I am interested in majoring in economics (in my commerce degree), and whilst I wouldn't consider myself a humanities student, politics is challenging me in a good way! I won't be doing any integration subjects until my second year (as I am completing the economics core subjects earlier to help my course progression) but I am excited to try these too.

PPE does have a pretty high dropout rate here, with most people dropping from a double to a single. It is definitely the degree and I am slightly nervous as my previous schooling experience won't really transfer over but it is very good so far! I'll try and remember to update this after this semester to see how much I enjoyed my first 2 PPE subjects!

Out of curiosity, what made you chose ANU and not any of the local unis in melb?
For me, there are 2 main areas that made me choose ANU, degree choice and social environment.
Degree choice: ANU has an incredibly large range of degrees to choose from. There are so so many. However, my degree can be studied elsewhere (Monash has it), but if I wanted to change one of my degrees, I couldn't do that anywhere else. ANU has a great Flexi double degree program where you can combine literally any 2 undergraduate degrees you want! I may transfer into Actuarial Studies and PPE, a combination I couldn't do anywhere else, but can here at ANU. It is also a very well-known institution and is slightly smaller than the unis I was considering in Melbourne (Monash and Melbourne).

Social Environment: Frankly, I needed to leave Melbourne. I was stuck in a pretty toxic bubble and knew if I stayed there I would be seeing the same people and doing the same things. I was actually considering moving overseas for a while to get the "college" experience, but ANU has that, especially in my res where everyone is super nice and involved. I also knew that I could always move back to Melbourne, but wanted to take this opportunity to see how I liked moving away. I have already gained independence and make friends that I feel like I have known my whole life. It is obviously individual and I think does depend on which residence you are in, but I feel like I am a part of a 400 person family 🥰 Canberra is also a nice place (people love to shit on it but it is beautiful) and staying in Melbourne would honestly for me feel like a continuation of high-school. For the first time in a while I can say I am truly happy and moving here has 100% caused that!
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 12:18:07 pm »
+2
Hello AN fam!

My name is Eloise and in 2021, I completed the VCE in Melbourne. This year, I have taken the step to move to the Australian National University in Canberra. I am currently staying in one of the residences and studying Commerce and PPE.

I certainly had lots of questions about studying and moving to the ANU - so I made this thread to try and answer any of your guys’ questions :)

From early entry to accomodation and everything in between, I would love to help you all!

Eloise :D
Hi Eloise, from an ex-ANU student here I just wanted to say hope you enjoy your time at ANU!!!  :) So glad to see more and more people go there!!

Despite it not being perfect, it really is the best experience!!  :D ANU really opened me up to a set of new experiences, and I sort of agree with what you said if I stayed in Melbourne I felt like I wouldn't have really explored myself

Get involved as much as you can, from both activities at college to general wider-ANU extracurriculars!
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 12:23:07 pm »
+4
Bump on this thread! Early entry applications are currently open and I would love to answer any questions relating to them or anything related to ANU!
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !