Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:01:27 am

Author Topic: From QCE to QUT - An IT Student's Perspective  (Read 2618 times)

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
From QCE to QUT - An IT Student's Perspective
« on: March 04, 2022, 04:48:43 pm »
+6
Hello Everyone,

Due to popular demand, I have decided to create a Uni journey journal :)

For those of you that don't know me, my name is Jerry and I've been writing about my experiences in high school (QCE) from near the end of Year 10 all the way until the end of Year 12 these past few years. A lot of you seemed to enjoy my QCE journey journal (more than 39,000 of you) and so I decided that it was only fitting for me to continue sharing more of my journey with you all.

If you haven't already, you can check out my QCE journey journal here --> https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=188078.0

I'm studying IT at QUT this year (graduating in 2024).

I hope to provide you all with a well written, deep and nuanced perspective of not just what it's like to study IT at QUT but also what it's like to be a recent school leaver enjoying life :D

I will also be providing my own tips based on my experiences for those of us who still face the struggles of procrastination ;D

I hope you all enjoy it :)

Kind regards
Jerry Mouse
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 05:02:24 pm by JerryMouse2019 »
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
Re: From QCE to QUT - An IT Student's Perspective
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 05:45:22 pm »
+2
Hello Everyone,

Due to popular demand, I have decided to create a Uni journey journal :)

For those of you that don't know me, my name is Jerry and I've been writing about my experiences in high school (QCE) from near the end of Year 10 all the way until the end of Year 12 these past few years. A lot of you seemed to enjoy my QCE journey journal (more than 39,000 of you) and so I decided that it was only fitting for me to continue sharing more of my journey with you all.

If you haven't already, you can check out my QCE journey journal here --> https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=188078.0

I'm studying IT at QUT this year (graduating in 2024).

I hope to provide you all with a well written, deep and nuanced perspective of not just what it's like to study IT at QUT but also what it's like to be a recent school leaver enjoying life :D

I will also be providing my own tips based on my experiences for those of us who still face the struggles of procrastination ;D

I hope you all enjoy it :)

Kind regards
Jerry Mouse

Hi Jerry,

I'm so excited to read this! I can't wait to see your uni journey unfold. It's a shame QUT is online for Week one though. But hopefully you'll be able to go on campus soon :)
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 12:15:34 am »
+4
Hello Everyone,

It's been nearly 3 months since I started my university journey journal.

Since then I've learnt so much about how uni works and why being a procrastinator as a uni student truly sucks.

Due to the pandemic, they haven't done lectures on campus since 2019 (some courses still do them but not mine) and so I've had to spend my first semester doing a lot of reading. QUT refers to it as eContent (or pre-readings). Some units have very little reading to do and other units have a lot. The amount of eContent that I've had to go through has just overwhelmed me nearly every single time. It's stressful because if you don't read the eContent for a unit then you pretty much don't understand the workshops and then you don't have questions to ask in the tutorials. I believe that it's a huge weakness when it comes to how units are taught. I'm already weeks behind in a coding unit and my procrastination hasn't helped me with catching up. I feel like there is no simple solution to solving this domino effect. Catching up on weeks of eContent alongside studying new eContent is just super frustrating and stressful. I only wish that they had told me about how important eContent was before I'd started my classes.

Other than that, my uni life has been pretty good socially. I've noticed a lot of first year students don't go to clubs/societies events or they just can't be bothered to go. However, I've put time and effort into going to some events and I've had some interesting conversations and experiences. I'm still working on building my new friendships. I've found that friendships at uni are difficult to maintain because everyone has a different schedule. Having different schedules means that I don't get to see my friends as often every week.

Until next time,

Kind regards
Jerry Mouse

QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 09:15:43 pm »
+2
Hello Everyone,

It's been nearly 3 months since I started my university journey journal.

Since then I've learnt so much about how uni works and why being a procrastinator as a uni student truly sucks.

Due to the pandemic, they haven't done lectures on campus since 2019 (some courses still do them but not mine) and so I've had to spend my first semester doing a lot of reading. QUT refers to it as eContent (or pre-readings). Some units have very little reading to do and other units have a lot. The amount of eContent that I've had to go through has just overwhelmed me nearly every single time. It's stressful because if you don't read the eContent for a unit then you pretty much don't understand the workshops and then you don't have questions to ask in the tutorials. I believe that it's a huge weakness when it comes to how units are taught. I'm already weeks behind in a coding unit and my procrastination hasn't helped me with catching up. I feel like there is no simple solution to solving this domino effect. Catching up on weeks of eContent alongside studying new eContent is just super frustrating and stressful. I only wish that they had told me about how important eContent was before I'd started my classes.

Other than that, my uni life has been pretty good socially. I've noticed a lot of first year students don't go to clubs/societies events or they just can't be bothered to go. However, I've put time and effort into going to some events and I've had some interesting conversations and experiences. I'm still working on building my new friendships. I've found that friendships at uni are difficult to maintain because everyone has a different schedule. Having different schedules means that I don't get to see my friends as often every week.

Until next time,

Kind regards
Jerry Mouse

Hello Everyone,

I also just wanted to add that as a procrastinator the best part about QUT so far has been this new assignment extension policy that they've started this semester.

Basically, you can now request an automatically approved 48-hr extension for assignments that are eligible.

You don't even need to provide any reasons whatsoever as to why you're taking an extension.

You can take the extension 48-hrs before the due date or 48-hrs after.

The new due date would be exactly 48-hrs after the original due date (for e.g. Friday 11:59pm would change to Sunday 11:59pm).

This policy has been a lifesaver for me because I often leave my assignments to the last minute. While it isn't great to leave assignments to the last minute, this policy does provide me with much needed last minute motivation and that's why I'm very grateful for its existence.

Until next time,

Kind regards
Jerry Mouse
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 09:21:00 pm by JerryMouse2019 »