Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:06:16 pm

Author Topic: Why does RNA processing actually occur?  (Read 4715 times)  Share 

s0m30n312345

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Why does RNA processing actually occur?
« on: March 18, 2022, 04:59:43 pm »
+1
So, I have a sac coming up and I was revising gene expression and I don't get why RNA processing actually occurs, like I get what it does and stuff, but why is it important for translation? like why does translation require the introns to be removed and a methyl-G cap and poly-A tail to be added?

Golgi Apparatus

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
Re: Why does RNA processing actually occur?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 02:51:27 pm »
+4
The introns need to be removed because they are non-coding regions (i.e. they don't code for a protein). These are not meant to be transcribed - only the exons code for the protein. If the introns were not removed, the whole mRNA strand (introns and exons), would be transcribed. This means the amino acid sequence would be incorrect and the protein would not perform its intended function. By removing the introns, only the exons (coding regions) are transcribed, which results in the correct amino acid sequence, and therefore a properly functioning protein.
I don't know too much about the tail and cap, but I believe they give the mRNA protection and stability.
VCE
2020: Biology
2021: Chemistry | English Language | Further | Methods | Psychology

2022: Bachelor of Biomedicine (UoM)

s0m30n312345

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Why does RNA processing actually occur?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 09:08:56 pm »
+1
oh ok. That makes sense now, thankyou!