Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:43:06 pm

Author Topic: QCE Research Investigation IA2  (Read 1773 times)

jconn208

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
QCE Research Investigation IA2
« on: March 21, 2022, 06:06:39 pm »
I have to have a rationale and research question done by tomorrow

I originally chose the claim "The health and environmental risks associated with the use of nuclear fission must be considered along with the environmental and cost benefits of lowering fossil fuel consumption." but there were too many aspects and there wasnt enough data.

The other options are:
- Solar energy will be capable of powering 90% of Australian households.
• Predicting global temperatures and human-induced climate change is greatly aided by new technologies.
• During the Fukushima nuclear crisis in Japan, some official organisation reported that 100 mSv is the lowest
dose at which a person is at risk for cancer
• The demand for nano electronics will grow exponentially in the coming century.

I dont know what one to choose because Ive been told i need 3 tables/graphs to talk about and that where i ran into a problem with my last claim as i couldn't find anything relevant

THANKS!

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
Re: QCE Research Investigation IA2
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 08:58:34 am »
+2
Hey Jconn208!
Welcome to the forums :)

I originally chose the claim "The health and environmental risks associated with the use of nuclear fission must be considered along with the environmental and cost benefits of lowering fossil fuel consumption." but there were too many aspects and there wasnt enough data.

If you think there are too many aspects, then you are able to make the scope of your investigation a little less broad through how you write the research question. However, I believe that a potential research question for a claim like this, it could be as simple as:
"How does the use of nuclear fusion for energy production compare to the use of fossil fuels, with regards to safety and sustainability?"
In this question I've made no attempt to narrow the scope but I think you can see the major components of the investigation - and there are only two of them (which is definitely doable for a research investigation).
1. Nuclear fusion vs fossil fuels and safety,
2. Nuclear fusion vs fossil fuels and sustainability.

As for not finding enough data for this claim - I would recommend using Google Scholar. Some examples of research papers I've found (with promising data) are:
- Nuclear energy: Between global electricity demand, worldwide decarbonisation imperativeness, and planetary environmental implications (the link for this is here).
- The Future of Nuclear Energy in a Carbon-Constrained World (the link for this is here).
- Nuclear Energy and Health: And the Benefits of Low-Dose Radiation Hormesis (the link for this is here).

These are just the first few that I found with a quick Google Scholar search. If you decide not to use this claim, I would highly recommend using Google Scholar to find your references/data for whatever claim you decide to go with.

The other options are:
- Solar energy will be capable of powering 90% of Australian households.
• Predicting global temperatures and human-induced climate change is greatly aided by new technologies.
• During the Fukushima nuclear crisis in Japan, some official organisation reported that 100 mSv is the lowest
dose at which a person is at risk for cancer
• The demand for nano electronics will grow exponentially in the coming century.

I dont know what one to choose because Ive been told i need 3 tables/graphs to talk about and that where i ran into a problem with my last claim as i couldn't find anything relevant

For the first one, you could find some graphs looking at the total energy consumption in Australia, and then try to find some graphs looking at the potential solar energy production. You can compare them to see if there is a possibility that increasing our efforts to harness energy from the sun will be sufficient to fuel our energy needs.

The second requires a bit of searching - I would begin by determining which new technologies are aiding our predictions of temperature/climate change. Once you've identified a few, you can pick like 2 of them maybe and then compare their accuracy to those that we used in the past.

For the third, you can search up the cancer risks associated with nuclear radiation and at what radiation level these risks are most prevalent. Then you just compare your findings to the statement made.

For the last one, look into what nanoelectronics is and what its used for. Then you can search up the future of nanoelectronics to see if we will actually be using them more.

Once again, Google Scholar will be your best friend!!!!

I hope this is helpful!
Katelyn
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

jconn208

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: QCE Research Investigation IA2
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 09:44:19 am »
+1
Thank you very much

I ended up changing to the fukushima one but after your contribution have rethought my original claim!