Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:52:30 am

Author Topic: Physics research investigation IA3 year 12- please help  (Read 1527 times)

Yulita

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Physics research investigation IA3 year 12- please help
« on: May 24, 2022, 08:48:00 pm »
Hi
I've chosen a claim for my research investigation but I don't know what to write for my research question because the claim is already so specific
Claim: some researchers claim that the photoelectric effect could be used with 'waste infrared heat' from our hot cities and roadways to produce electrical energy
If anyone could help that would be great  :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Physics research investigation IA3 year 12- please help
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 10:17:16 am »
+2
Hey!

Welcome to the forums :)

You can definitely work with this statement to make a research question. One thing that might help is to think "what questions, if the answer is unfavourable, make this claim false?"

Have you broken the claim down into key words/phrases?

Yulita

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 11:55:06 am »
yea I have.
I've thought of how would you trap and store the waste heat to be able to convert it to electrical energy but I also can't seem too find any data

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 10:21:27 pm »
+1
yea I have.
I've thought of how would you trap and store the waste heat to be able to convert it to electrical energy but I also can't seem too find any data

Have you read this? https://phys.org/news/2017-04-infrared-emitting-device-energy-harvesting.html

Relevant article this is based on:
https://opg.optica.org/optica/fulltext.cfm?uri=optica-4-4-430&id=363003

Hope this helps clarify the concept :)

Yulita

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 07:12:58 pm »
I've come up with this Research question. do you think it connects to the claim and is derived from it
To what extent does infrared heat produced by the sun affect the efficiency of solar photovoltaic (PV) panels in generating electrical energy through the photoelectric effect?

petraacker

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 11:03:32 am »
+1
Hi,
We are five girls in year 12 doing Physics and we are struggling to make sense of our IA3 claims. Our claims are based on Unit 4 Topic 1,2,3 and any help would be greatly appreciated. The claims are as follows:
● Anti-matter space propulsion is not practical for travel within the Solar system.
● Space tourists will experience significant relativistic effects when making return
trips to the nearby Proxima Centauri system.
● The International Linear Collider is the most viable candidate for a new highenergy particle accelerator and will reveal detailed properties of the Higgs Boson.

Any help breaking down these claims would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thankyou.