Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:54:44 am

Author Topic: SUBJECT SELECTIONS (advice appreciated)  (Read 2260 times)

annlia.s

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
SUBJECT SELECTIONS (advice appreciated)
« on: June 22, 2022, 10:28:10 pm »
+1
Hi guys! It's my first time here so please bear with me whilst I adapt.  :)

I am currently in year 10 doing subject selections next week. I am interested in pursuing a career in medicine so the subjects I have in mind are:

- ATAR English
- Maths Methods
- Economics
- Chemistry
- Human Biology
- Biology or Physics

As you can see... I haven't decided on my 6th subject yet. Which one physics or biology would be more useful for me in pursuing the medical field (specifically biomedical engineering, dentistry, working in labs, researching human anatomy, finding cures to cancer  etc) I am really interested in human anatomy if you can't tell already :)

Please let me know and thank you for your time!!!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: SUBJECT SELECTIONS (advice appreciated)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 02:16:56 pm »
+2
Unfortunately I can’t help you choose, as I’m Victorian. However, if the process and subject selection for medicine in NSW is the same as Victoria, both subjects are great for different courses at different unis.

(specifically biomedical engineering, dentistry, working in labs, researching human anatomy, finding cures to cancer etc) I am really interested in human anatomy if you can't tell already :)
The last three examples highlighted in bold font lend themselves well for an Honours year, which is usually an additional year of uni dedicated to research, and often done in the lab. (This is usually the 4th year on top of a 3 year degree like a Bachelor of Science, but can be done as an additional year in most human biological/ medical degrees.)

Sorry that I’m not a lot of help, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply soon.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

annlia.s

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: SUBJECT SELECTIONS (advice appreciated)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 08:45:04 pm »
Thank you for your reply!

After what you have mentioned, I decided to look at the prerequisites for the Bachelor of Science and other human biological/medicine degrees and have decided to do physics as my 6th subject as most of them say its a key component for the degrees.