Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 08:05:34 pm

Poll

If you were I where would you go? - My sincere apologies for using such a desperate measure in deciding where i should go, but every single vote of yours will be important, and appreciated. Thank you! Thank you!

Science
Engineering
Biomed - mm i m probz gonna cut this course fm my list
Commerce
i dunno

Author Topic: SOS, please VOTE, a million thanks to you!  (Read 3288 times)  Share 

monokekie

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
SOS, please VOTE, a million thanks to you!
« on: December 09, 2009, 12:36:33 pm »
I have been torn by the dilemma during the past few days, about whether to select Science undergrad or Engineering undergrad at Melbourne Uni. I wish i could make my way to a master of Chemical Engineering and they could both lead me to there.

Thanks!! :D
well the limit can turn into a threshold..

ZachCharge

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Eh...
  • Respect: +3
Re: SOS, please VOTE, a million thanks to you!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 12:39:55 pm »
Err, you really shouldn't make your decision off a forum vote. Nobody really can vote for what YOU want, what you want has to be...well what YOU want. Are those four areas what you are genuinely interested in, or just picking out of prestige?
Hmm...next year already. Well better set my goals and all...(raw)
Methods CAS [35] Further [42] English [33-5ish?] Lit [35] Revolutions [Ehhh]

monokekie

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 12:49:07 pm »
I have accidently decided that four options looks better than two, haha. I am mainly just picking between the two i have mentioned above, lol

olly_s15

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:53:41 pm »
Engineering undergrad at Melbourne? I thought they don't run it anymore?
Science at UoM (Pharmacology/Neuroscience)
VCE 2010

monokekie

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 01:07:32 pm »
this year is the last year if my memory serves me right.. haha

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 02:21:05 pm »
I think TinyApple is doing chemical engineering at UoM, try PM'ing her and asking for her advice? Which would be a lot more informed than most of us... (I hope you don't mind, TinyApple)
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

squance

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:55:30 pm »
I think TinyApple is doing chemical engineering at UoM, try PM'ing her and asking for her advice? Which would be a lot more informed than most of us... (I hope you don't mind, TinyApple)

I don't mind :)
Collin Li, midas_touch and Kopite (but doing Chem Eng through a commerce degree) are also doing Chemical Engineering :)

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 03:33:26 pm »
I have been torn by the dilemma during the past few days, about whether to select Science undergrad or Engineering undergrad at Melbourne Uni. I wish i could make my way to a master of Chemical Engineering and they could both lead me to there.

Firstly, you can do chemical engineering via science, engineering or commerce. The latter should be done if you have an interest in pursuing something like accounting or finance aswell as chemical engineering. You should do science if you are interested in pursuing engineering via a bachelor degree and a masters degree (5 years in total) or are interested in pursing other sciences. The engineering degree is for people DEAD set on pursuing engineering and it takes 4 years to complete.

So basically you can't pursue chemical engineering via biomedicine (well atleast I know that you can't do a chemical systems major).

If you have the slightest ambition of pursuing something like chemistry, then do science. If the health sciences interest you, then do biomedicine (you can do bioengineering), or if you would be interested in pursuing a commerce related career, then do commerce.

I hope this helps.
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

monokekie

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 09:36:38 pm »
thanks! PM sent =P

monokekie

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 09:56:11 pm »

Firstly, you can do chemical engineering via science, engineering or commerce. The latter should be done if you have an interest in pursuing something like accounting or finance aswell as chemical engineering. You should do science if you are interested in pursuing engineering via a bachelor degree and a masters degree (5 years in total) or are interested in pursing other sciences. The engineering degree is for people DEAD set on pursuing engineering and it takes 4 years to complete.

So basically you can't pursue chemical engineering via biomedicine (well atleast I know that you can't do a chemical systems major).

If you have the slightest ambition of pursuing something like chemistry, then do science. If the health sciences interest you, then do biomedicine (you can do bioengineering), or if you would be interested in pursuing a commerce related career, then do commerce.

I hope this helps.

tyty :) that does help.

monokekie

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 01:01:22 am »
dilemma expanding....-___-

redmosez

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 01:02:23 am »
I wish i could make my way to a master of Chemical Engineering and they could both lead me to there.

First of all it depends on whether you're sure Chemical Engineering is what you wanna pursue. (fyi it's pretty pointless doing a Master of Eng if you've completed the Undergrad degree)

If it is then I personally see no advantage with going through an undergrad>MEng. I prefer to go directly through the Bachelor of Eng. I'm not a huge advocate of double degrees if you're purely hoping to get into Engineering after Uni. For grad positions I don't think a double degree or (undergrad degree in something else) really helps your jobs prospects (but that's another topic altogether)

On the other hand if you're not sure that Chemical Eng is what you wanna do then going through the Undergrad scheme could be beneficial. Which undergrad degree depends on what you're interested in.
Ever tried. Ever Failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

Engineering @UoM

monokekie

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 02:58:59 pm »
um.. i am interested in most subjects except for maths, and i will still do it if i have to.. :S

xXNovaxX

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 03:09:37 pm »

err I am really not into ANY of the mentioned options you have ><

But what I suggest is make a list of pro's and cons of EVERY course.

Seriously spend HORUS on it (like 2-3) and think really detailed to why Science is good/bad....why engineering is good/bad.

What I found extremely useful is comapring between the Universities and seeing the SUBJECTS I would be doing as part of my course, this really was the be all or end all for me.

Have a shot at the list if you want, you have nothing to lose =D, besides you don't HAVE to follow it, but seriously you may have like 12+ good things about engineering, and only 2 about biomed....helping cut down ur list

monokekie

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 03:14:38 pm »
kaka~ lol i have already cut-out biomed xD

sounds like i do need to edit the poll a bit LOL