Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:42:33 am

Author Topic: I.T. at RMIT  (Read 1005 times)  Share 

ioaus09

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
I.T. at RMIT
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:46:04 am »
I'm thinking of doing something in the I.T. field at RMIT. Is there some people who do IT. that can give me their opinions thanks

ell

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +18
Re: I.T. at RMIT
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:06:31 pm »
I just finished my first year of software engineering at RMIT and I highly recommend it. The teaching staff are mostly great and you'll meet a lot of like-minded people which will make the learning experience a lot easier and more enjoyable.

Most of the first year subjects for the IT degrees (even at different universities) are fairly similar. They'll usually consist of:

a standard programming subject (Java - also a lot of object-oriented concepts),
discrete maths,
computer architecture (learning about how a computer works at a very low-level, e.g. how the CPU works, assembly language programming, digital logic etc),
essential database concepts,
essential software engineering concepts (i.e. learn to draw pretty UML diagrams), and
networking/data communication.

You can have a look at the subjects I'm taking here: http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~s3237212/

I had about 20 contact hours in the first semester (at uni for 5 days) and about 16 for second semester (4 days) though I did skip some lectures from time to time. Make sure you attend to tutes/labs though, that's where you'll really learn the content.

Which of the degrees were you interested in? (Undergraduate degrees offered by the School of Computer Science and IT)

ioaus09

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: I.T. at RMIT
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 08:07:10 pm »
hmm thinking of game graphics programming or something that requires design/programming or games lol, or prob just bachelor of I.T. in general . Do you know of the career prospects of those two? thanks
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:09:06 pm by ioaus09 »