Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:41:58 am

Author Topic: further study in economics  (Read 4169 times)  Share 

schmalex

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
further study in economics
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:44:04 pm »
Hi, I'm really interested in economics and worked out that if i do UMEP this year I can Major in economics in an arts degree and probably still meet the honours requirements (going to check this but). MY QUESTION: If I want to do further study in economics, do you think I can do this if I study economics through a bachelor of Arts and perhaps don't have as many economics\maths subjects as other students?

My other options would be doing economics\arts at Monash, which would be an inferior degre (don't really want to do this) or I could complete a bachelor of Arts and THEN a bachelor of commerce, although I'm not REALLY interested in other aspects of economics. Thoughts?
2009- National Politics (43) Methods (38)
2010- Economics (50) English (44) Literature (38) Introductory Microeconomcis (86) Introductory Macroeconomics (75)
ATAR:98.95

Offering Economics tutoring
http://vce.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,35848.0.html

sdhains

Re: further study in economics
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:00:18 pm »
I was considering doing the same thing with melbourne arts as I thought it would be more interesting. I was interested in the same things as you. I decided not to, but I still think it would still be an awesome thing to do. Theoretically you can definitely do further study in economics if you major in it through arts, and I don't see why you couldn't also in practicality. I'm no expert though so you should probably call up the university and ask them. I'm 95% sure this is considered a very common avenue into study of economics at Masters/PhD level, as if you look at famous economists with PhD's, many of them started through arts. Also, if you consider the US system, there is no 'commerce' degree and as a result students who commence further study in economics would almost always have a tertiary background which looks very different from someone with an australian 'commerce degree'.

Studying economics through arts also allows for development of a unique perspective on the area (as opposed to the commerce perspective) as you are able to study Economics/Philosophy or Economics/Literature or Economics/Politics which all complement each other very interestingly.

I decided to study economics through commerce as I was given the opportunity to do so, and I am more interested in doing a MBA. Of course, I could still do an MBA with an Arts background, But I want to work in Banking for the 2 year work experience requirement, and with australia's bizzare, vocational, tertiary system I am forced to play the game and do commerce to maximise my opportunities in working in the merchant banks.

Hope this helps.

schmalex

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 10:29:23 pm »
Yeah, that's what sucks about the Australian system. I was interested in doing some maths at uni too to complement my economics, but there's prett much no way i could do arts, economics AND maths without spending a whole lot of time at uni (which is kind of ridiculous but whatever.) I'm interested in study philosophy, anthropology and politics and stuff like that. Thanks for your help :)
2009- National Politics (43) Methods (38)
2010- Economics (50) English (44) Literature (38) Introductory Microeconomcis (86) Introductory Macroeconomics (75)
ATAR:98.95

Offering Economics tutoring
http://vce.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,35848.0.html

Pappa-Bohr

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 01:49:47 pm »
Don't worry about the name of the bachelor degree, just do whatever allows you to take the most maths/econ courses in the shortest amount of time possible, then go on to honors economics.

(also don't take courses in 'politics', etc (especially those beyond first year), although they may appear interesting, tutorials/lectures are intellectually degrading and the opportunity cost is be very high)