Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 02:34:08 am

Author Topic: What's it mean?  (Read 4600 times)  Share 

costargh

What's it mean?
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:52:13 pm »
I e-mailed The University of Melbourne regarding my situation and basically got some stuff copy and pasted from the site in return. Here is what I sent:

Does Access Melbourne take into account special consideration for students who are applying for a course who have missed out on a pre-requisite by 1 mark?

For example: In 2007 I completed Maths Methods CAS and obtained a 24 study score. In the same year I obtained a 40 in Legal Studies. Will I be ineligible for selection because I missed out by 1 mark in Methods CAS? My school is currently on the underrepresented list.

Response:
Dear Costa,

Thank you for your recent enquiry to the University of Melbourne Information Centre regarding Access Melbourne, the University’s combined special entry and access scholarships scheme.

Access Melbourne enhances opportunities for selection into a course as it provides prospective students with the opportunity to explain the ongoing circumstances that have affected their chance of gaining a place at the University of Melbourne. University Selection Committees will consider each application for Access Melbourne individually. The circumstances that have affected your chance of gaining a place at the University together with your potential to succeed in your chosen course will be taken into consideration.

The University has set guaranteed ENTERs for admission into most of its courses. No applicant below the guaranteed ENTER will be admitted to an Australian fee place. Only Access Melbourne applicants can be admitted to a Commonwealth supported place below this standard. All Access Melbourne applicants are considered for, and may be offered a Commonwealth supported place in, a course where their ENTER is lower than the specified guaranteed ENTER.

Even if you meet the eligibility criteria for Access Melbourne, but believe your ENTER may place you 'Clearly-in' for your chosen course, you should submit an Access Melbourne application in order to be considered for a Melbourne Access Scholarship or a Commonwealth Learning Scholarship.

Before submitting an Access Melbourne application, applicants should carefully read the eligibility criteria as failing to meet any eligibility criteria, inclusive of prerequisite subject scores, means that you cannot apply for Access Melbourne. If you are eligible for Access Melbourne you will need to prepare the required documentation in order to submit a completed application by the due date. This information is available on the VTAC website: www.vtac.edu.au.

To apply for Access Melbourne, you must complete the Special Entry and Access Schemes (SEAS) online application at www.vtac.edu.au. Each of the Access Melbourne eligibility criteria corresponds to a SEAS category. SEAS information booklets are available from VTAC. You are not required to submit a separate application to be considered for a Melbourne Access Scholarship. All Access Melbourne applicants will be considered for these scholarships provided they tick the box in the SEAS application form stating that they wish to be considered for an Access Scholarship at the University of Melbourne.

More information about Access Melbourne can be found at www.access.unimelb.edu.au.

For answers to a range of queries on admissions, selection, courses and more, please visit our Future Students website at www.futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au.

Best wishes for your future studies.

Kind Regards,

Jon
Information Officer

Does that basically mean that I might as well apply through Access Melbourne because they look at each application individually (I am from an under-represented school)?

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Re: What's it mean?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 06:39:52 pm »
It doesn't mean anything. That e-mail response was worse than an automated one, because it made you read through irrelevant information. It was talking about ENTER-related criteria like 'clearly-in' scores, rather than talking about a possibility of waiving the study score requirements!

costargh

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 06:49:11 pm »
I nearly threw up when I saw the crap they replied with.
The only thing I got out of it which is avaiable on the website anyway is...
"University Selection Committees will consider each application for Access Melbourne individually."

I'll reply to them

I feel like being rather rude in my reply back eg. Thank-you for copy and pasting information that is freely available on your website and which I have already looked through, but you clearly saw the words Access Melbourne in my e-mail and decided to shit a heap of information from your website in your response instead of actually looking and my situation individually.

But Il try be nice.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 06:51:22 pm by costargh »

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 07:13:15 pm »
That information officer "Jon" is hopeless! I sent enquiries through last year and received responses from him. He gave completely inaccurate and misleading information. I didn't find out the correct information until 3 months later when another information officer gave me the correct info.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:46:08 pm »
That information officer "Jon" is hopeless! I sent enquiries through last year and received responses from him. He gave completely inaccurate and misleading information. I didn't find out the correct information until 3 months later when another information officer gave me the correct info.
well, they're actually people, i suppose UoM has just made a bad recruiting decision =\
it happens often enough...

Costa try calling them, it'll be better.
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 07:51:42 pm »
It's probably not the best idea to rely on access, but you may as well call to get a direct answer rather than stuff you've already read.

costargh

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »
It's probably not the best idea to rely on access, but you may as well call to get a direct answer rather than stuff you've already read.
By no means am I relying on access but hey! What do I have to lose? =)

costargh

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 04:08:41 pm »
Two responses. Both what I expected. One from Monash University and one from the University of Melbourne.

University of Melbourne- Commerce
Dear Costa,

Thank you for your recent enquiry to the University of Melbourne Information Centre.

While Access Melbourne consideration helps assist a students ENTER score for selection purposes, all students must meet the course prerequisites. Unfortunately, if you have missed not met the course requirement you can not be selected into the degree.

In your particular case, I can only recommend you to study at another instituition (and possibliy study a course similiar to our Commerce program) and pick up a subject that can act as a bridging subject that will meet the Maths Method requirement. You may then look to apply after the first year of study on the basis of your Unviersity results or you may choose to stay there.

Kind Regards,

Will
Information Officer

Monash University- Commerce
Hello
Yes - you're right. If you received 24 for Methods you will be ineligible for Commerce at Clayton.

Your options would be to complete Methods again (but it looks like this may be a problem) or to study another course (eg a Business course at Caulfield) for 12 months, study a maths unit as part of that year, and then apply for a transfer to Commerce.
Regards

Steve

Thoughts?
Are their suggestions any good? Would I have to start a business course at Monash Caufield and then start all over again at Melbourne or Monash-Clyaton? How much credit do I recieve? Does that one years study count as one years study at Melbourne or Monash-Clayton?
(merge with my other ranting threads if a mod gets time)

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 05:16:25 pm »
If you took a related course, it's likely that you'd receive some credit at least. Those are good solutions, but it would seem like an easier option to redo methods, get that arbitrary 25, and get what you want first go.

costargh

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 05:19:03 pm »
Redoing methods is now not an option. I have decided that. I just have to work with what I have.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 05:23:34 pm »
That's a tough break, Costa, but if you're REALLY keen on Commerce @ Melbourne the scenario of starting at Monash then transferring to Melbourne sounds like your best option. I don't think you'd need much more than a 70% average @ Monash to transfer to Melbourne.

costargh

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 05:26:41 pm »
How would I know if the "bridging" maths subject in university would be adequate to support a transfer to Melbourne University? Also, is the CSP place I receive at one institute transferable to another Uni?

Thanks guys

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 06:04:51 pm »
At Monash, the subject that is equivalent to Maths Methods is called MTH1010. You'd have to talk to the university about completing it at some point in time over the course of your degree. Tell them that you want to transfer to MONASH Commerce or they may be reluctant to help you. Then, when you've passed it, file your application to UoM.  This unit is recognised by the University of Melbourne as being equivalent to methods. A pass in said subject would guarantee your entry into commerce at UoM. (provided you attain ~70 average across all subjects)

costargh

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 06:09:57 pm »
Ok. Thanks enwiabe. Yeh thats what my thought was. I'm not exactly going to say to them I want to transfer to UoM so how do I fulfill their pre-requisites LOL.
I really don't know what to do anymore.
I was thinking about a double degree at Berwick
Business and Commerce/Communications
ENTER 75 or 79 or something. Major in one Commerce area and major in marketing for Communications component.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 06:15:23 pm »
About transferring your CSP place: I don't believe it is guaranteed. Your marks have to be good enough (above 70 average I think).