Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:59:46 am

Author Topic: 2007 Unit 4 Exam Thoughts  (Read 13791 times)  Share 

munto

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
2007 Unit 4 Exam Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 04:20:29 pm »
No sorry I haven't seen it. Would like to get my hands on it though, give you guys my thoughts.

In regards to mtDNA, it does actually mutate at a slower rate than normal DNA either in non coding regions or in coding regions and the in the other part it mutates at a much faster rate than normal DNA. Can't remember which one though, but that is definetly the case. Very nitpicky question though...

I know some people at my school didn't finish and my old biol teacher said it was one of the harder exams he has seen (he used to be a marker, and teacher for approx 20 years)

Thats a bit silly that there wasn't much on hominid evolution. It's a friggin' area of study... So I assume it was heavily balanced to basic evolution and basic genetics... hmmm...

GOOD LUCK FOR THE RESULTS GUYS!

*also if you found any strategies that worked for you in your study, add it into the exam tips thread and if it is a good suggestion I'll add it to the first post :)

CONGRATULATIONS!

as my old biol teacher would say: "you have crossed over from year 12 biol to (hopefully) university biol"

lol. oh how so cheesy

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 04:35:30 pm »
Quote from: "munto"
as my old biol teacher would say: "you have crossed over from year 12 biol to (hopefully) university biol"

The border is learning Chemistry :)

BA22

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 04:37:21 pm »
Quote from: "coblin"

Yeh, i think VCE biology is waking up to that, Unit 3 is refered to as "The molecules of life" and is starting to examine some of the chem behind bio, especially with the properties of water

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 04:38:04 pm »
No sorry I haven't seen it. Would like to get my hands on it though, give you guys my thoughts.

In regards to mtDNA, it does actually mutate at a slower rate than normal DNA either in non coding regions or in coding regions and the in the other part it mutates at a much faster rate than normal DNA. Can't remember which one though, but that is definetly the case. Very nitpicky question though...

I know some people at my school didn't finish and my old biol teacher said it was one of the harder exams he has seen (he used to be a marker, and teacher for approx 20 years)

Thats a bit silly that there wasn't much on hominid evolution. It's a friggin' area of study... So I assume it was heavily balanced to basic evolution and basic genetics... hmmm...

GOOD LUCK FOR THE RESULTS GUYS!

*also if you found any strategies that worked for you in your study, add it into the exam tips thread and if it is a good suggestion I'll add it to the first post :)

CONGRATULATIONS!

lol. oh how so cheesy

there was also barely anything on protein synthesis / DNA ... copying (I've already forgotten the term) ....
EDIT: DNA replication  :oops:

at my school, after each chapter we got a "blue sheet" with dot points of everything we needed to know, and I got together all my ref material and made summary notes based on the "blue sheet". after my exams I'll see if I can scan them up :)
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Bombers

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Exam Thoughts
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 05:43:57 pm »
Quote from: "squance"
The biology exam was sooooooooooo easy!!!

And I managed to finish the whole exam!!!!

WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic!

What did everybody else think?

What the fuk, that exam was harder than mid yr. I totally screwed the meiosis question. :cry:

Expected ENTER:93+
_______

munto

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 06:41:45 pm »
Quote from: "coblin"

oh don't worry i do do that. given that i do think the biol course is more relevant than that bullshit we have to know for the production of aluminium using the hall heroult cell... L-A-M-E

squance

Re: Exam Thoughts
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 11:33:04 am »
Quote from: "Bombers"
Quote from: "squance"
The biology exam was sooooooooooo easy!!!

And I managed to finish the whole exam!!!!

WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic!

What did everybody else think?

What the fuk, that exam was harder than mid yr. I totally screwed the meiosis question. :cry:

Nah...Mid year was harder

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 01:49:29 pm »
I thought midyear was sooo much easier ....... i had like 30 mins left to spare in that. this one i had none
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

un

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 10:23:36 pm »
agree. i found midyear much more relevant and easier.

This paper barely tested knowledge on human evolution, human intervention and tested all this random comprehension.

It reminded me of one of those long comprehension tests.

Lucky enough I was one of the few students who actually got to the last question.

BA22

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 12:18:43 am »
Quote from: "un"

Lucky enough I was one of the few students who actually got to the last question.

Really?

Wow, i finished with 5-7 minutes to go. I thought i struggled, haha.

I well aware of the arrogance of the remark, but meh . .i should be sleeping

squance

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 09:25:13 am »
Quote from: "ninwa"
I thought midyear was sooo much easier ....... i had like 30 mins left to spare in that. this one i had none

I didn't even finish the last two pages of the midyear...dats why I ended up with a stupid B as a grade

fELiX

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 06:58:03 am »
I found the BioloGAY exam gay.

It was like you study all this garbage in the study design and you get other rubbish in the test>>>

kido_1

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 07:12:55 am »
This biology exam was not difficult. It was just wierd, ambiguous, quiet vague and a bit out of place.
oping for an ENTER of 99+

itsme

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 09:06:28 am »
I'm with you Kido.

The exam itself wasn't difficult, I just found it to be ambiguous.

I had a horrible midyear, (didn't like that exam at all).

This time round I'm pretty sure I nailed it. I am so relieved.

Maybe I can salvage a reasonable study score.

Oh well don't think it will be in my top 4!!!!!!!!!!

kido_1

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 02:27:04 pm »
I am so over bio.
oping for an ENTER of 99+