Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 02:15:28 pm

Author Topic: Ethnolects  (Read 1807 times)  Share 

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
Ethnolects
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:06:45 pm »
omg caramel rnt u glad that all of a sudden there's traffic into here :p

I'm hoping someone around here could lend a little hand on this definition:

Ethnolects are literally “ethnic accents”
Each ethnolect is unique to the migrants of a particular ethnicity, a sociolinguistic identity.
Ethnolects follow the general patterns of the host nation’s common language of communication, with distinct features that can identify the speaker to be a particular ethnicity.
Ethnolects are usually only present in spoken language.

I feel there's a lot more to add, but cant put them into words =\

btw this is for a SAC :P

so before monday would be well appreciated, after that i'll post absolutely everything xD
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

cara.mel

Re: Ethnolects
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:10:34 pm »
Caramel is very happy except for the timing of your asking for help and the timing of my going away for the weekend.

I don't like definitions, plus I probably won't have access to my leet note book + a computer at the same time before monday. In addition, I have gotten maybe 9 hours sleep over 2 days.

Anyway you don't need definitions :P Just know that ethnolects = variation from ethnicity, and then be able to list examples from that. Eg using words/sounds/syntax/anything really from first language. I can't remember anything in terms of examples to give you at the moment, when I'm able to it'll be after the sac :(