Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:45:40 pm

Author Topic: improving mathmatical ability for commerce subjects  (Read 858 times)  Share 

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
improving mathmatical ability for commerce subjects
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:40:33 pm »
does anyone have any idea how i can improve my math ability (self study techniques)?

since ill be doing mostly commerce subjects for the next few years i think i should start trying to fix up my shity level of maths soon so i dont fall in a great big heap come 2nd and 3rd year :P

im not looking to be brilliant, i just want to be able to go into later years economics or finance units with some small degree of confidence

so, any decent resources/study techniques to recomend?

thanks  :)
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

appianway

Re: improving mathmatical ability for commerce subjects
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:42:17 pm »
Practice. I presume commerce is like the sciences, and the maths which is needed isn't creative thinking - it's just the application of skills.

Look at what areas of maths you need to know and grab a book (VCE, university) which covers them and has solutions. 

kyzoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +23
Re: improving mathmatical ability for commerce subjects
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 12:24:13 am »
Try to derive every principle you come across from first principles so you can never forget, or if you can't, come up with some weird analogy/metaphor that ensures you can remember it at will.
~ Methods (Non-CAS) [48 --> 49.4]

~ Spesh [50 --> 51.6]
~ Physics [50 --> 50]
~ Chem [43 --> 46.5]
~ English [46 --> 46.2]
~ UMEP Maths [5.0]

2010 ATAR: 99.90
Aggregate 206.8

NOTE: PLEASE CONTACT ME ON EMAIL - [email protected] if you are looking for a swift reply.