Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:26:16 pm

Author Topic: Harvard Justice Lectures  (Read 2311 times)  Share 

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
Harvard Justice Lectures
« on: June 11, 2010, 08:27:49 am »
I haven't really done anything on justice, but I thought these lectures were really interesting and stimulating. They discuss the philosophy of justice, politics, ethics etc., and are delivered well. Lots of thought-provoking scenarios are discussed.

Here's part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBdfcR-8hEY

AzureBlue

Re: Harvard Justice Lectures
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 05:44:53 pm »
Very interesting discussions :) Thanks for linking!

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 06:09:53 pm »
thats it, screw deciding between the melbourne and monash JD's i'm going to harvard :P

but srsly, that was a most interesting video, i've only watched 10 mins, and will finish the rest tonite, but i'm sure i'm gonna have some q's to post up to ask u you guys opinion on the senarios raised

AzureBlue

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:19:34 pm »
thats it, screw deciding between the melbourne and monash JD's i'm going to harvard :P
but srsly, that was a most interesting video, i've only watched 10 mins, and will finish the rest tonite, but i'm sure i'm gonna have some q's to post up to ask u you guys opinion on the senarios raised
Lol yeah I am now really highly interested in law (well, I was before, but now I'm even more interested) and don't know whether to pursue a career in corporate or banking/finance law as a solicitor or be an actuary... or both! And I used to be so sure...

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 09:10:11 pm »
Ohgod, I spent a whole unit on this stuff - both the trolley and the transplant cases are pretty much bread and butter ethics topics.

@AzureBlue, I think this is more relevant to Philosophy (particularly Applied Ethics) than Law.  Ninwa might want to confirm, but I don't think you cover this kind of stuff in detail in a straight Law degree?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:15:42 pm by EvangelionZeta »
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

AzureBlue

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 10:12:01 pm »
Ohgod, I spent a whole unit on this stuff - both the trolley and the transplant cases are pretty much bread and butter ethics topics.

@AzureBlue, I think this is more relevant to Philosophy (particularly Applied Ethics) than Law.  Ninwa might want to confirm, but I don't think you cover this kind of stuff in detail in a straight Law degree?
I don't know - but they're really good. Isn't "justice" something to do with law somewhat? Yeah definitely relevant to philosophy though I reckon.

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:24:51 pm »

@AzureBlue, I think this is more relevant to Philosophy (particularly Applied Ethics) than Law.  Ninwa might want to confirm, but I don't think you cover this kind of stuff in detail in a straight Law degree?
I don't know - but they're really good. Isn't "justice" something to do with law somewhat? Yeah definitely relevant to philosophy though I reckon.

I think Law degrees are more about the procedures and the cases themselves, as opposed to the moral principles underlying our laws...  Again, I could be mistaken (NINWA?!??!).
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 11:45:47 pm »

I think Law degrees are more about the procedures and the cases themselves, as opposed to the moral principles underlying our laws...  Again, I could be mistaken (NINWA?!??!).

i'm pretty sure i agree with this...it's more about learning teh case, precedents and how to find these precedents, how these precedents affect cases today and how the law is made. I think this would be the main poin, as opposed to learning about the reasoning behind the law and cases...but again...my personal experience with law degrees is rather limited....closest i got is legal studies 1/2 plus two weeks of unit three :P

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 11:51:28 pm »
We actually get a few tutes each year on this sort of thing in Med where we basically just get presented with scenarios and brawl it out. You'd expect stuff like that doctor scenario given, but perhaps a bit more realistic and more in-depth. I also came up with the same solution the student did which kind of wrecked the entire thing.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70