Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:41:16 am

Author Topic: University dilemma - theoretical physics  (Read 20397 times)  Share 

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
Re: University dilemma - theoretical physics
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 09:41:36 pm »
If you're able to avoid the crackpot named David Mills, then yes, go to Monash.

Because he will severely fuck up your interest in Physics.
lol mills fucked up my already fucked up interest in physics :(
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

Akirus

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 09:54:24 pm »
David Mills? I was going to contact him a while ago about requirements for skipping first year physics, or at least forgoing pre-reqs. 

Is the first year physics really that bad? Does it get better?

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 09:55:37 pm »
Is there a good reason why you'd like to do those topics in 3rd year rather than honours? Taking advanced courses early on isn't necessarily a good thing.
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

Akirus

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 10:07:58 pm »
Is there a good reason why you'd like to do those topics in 3rd year rather than honours? Taking advanced courses early on isn't necessarily a good thing.

True, but I guess at the moment it's a matter of options (i.e. I can do those topics during third year at ANU, if I want to). It also remains that ANU has opportunities to conduct higher level research earlier.

Cthulhu

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 11:48:30 pm »
What they teach you at 3rd year in ANU will only be the basics of GR and QFT. You'd still have to wait till honours or masters to do the more advanced stuff.

edit: I don't think you should just cross Monash off the list just yet. Do you do UMEP or MUEP physics? You might be able to get passed first year. And you seem pretty dedicated so if you can't bypass first year you probably won't have to end up going to lectures and you'd find it easy to self-teach. First year physics labs though...... x_x
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:54:14 pm by Cthulhu »

Akirus

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 11:53:04 pm »
They do have string theory research projects in third year, though. In terms of experience, that's something, right?

Cthulhu

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 11:54:44 pm »
Any experience doing research is good experience.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 12:19:20 am »
Akirus, I'd definitely go ANU for physics. It is, by far and a mile, better than Monash for undergraduate teaching and research. Take it from me... I'm going to the United Kingdom to close out my Physics major (Univ. of Nottingham). I, too, was frustrated by their lack of advanced topics and will be studying chaos theory and general relativity (both not offered at Monash) as part of my major, there. ANU has even more units on offer, as I'm sure you've seen.

Also, the best way to get in on good research at ANU is to come through their own ranks, impress the faculty members there in undergrad and you'll have no shortage of offers to continue into postgrad.

It's harder when you're a grad from an outside university. So yes, whilst you may be able to save a year doing sci scholars program at Monash, you may lose more than 2 years attempting to get into ANU where the real theoretical physics research is taking place.

In my opinion, aim for a PhB at ANU. Yeah, the move would suck at first, but if it's your dream, you should definitely go after it :)

Akirus

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 12:22:27 am »
I definitely haven't completely disregarded Monash yet, still mulling it over at the moment. Self-teaching is definitely an option, I've been pondering that one for a while. Someone linked me a great site by Gerard't Hooft, http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/theorist.html, detailing a pathway with all the content you need to study theoretical physics, which I've been looking at. Alternatively, I could go into theoretical astrophysics instead, Monash has a pretty good research program in that field.

Haven't done MUEP/UMEP physics (I'm doing MUEP accounting; to save us from a spiel, lets not ask why), but I still need to get into contact with David Mills to talk about skipping physics units; when I contacted him last time he didn't say no, so maybe some sort of arrangement can be reached.

\\EDIT:

Thanks for the insight, enwiabe. To be honest, the one year for the degree has gone from being a significant factor to a minor consideration. Especially after hearing some of the comments in this thread, I'm really starting to question whether Monash will satisfy my needs (and is David Mills really THAT bad? haha). ANU really appears to be the best choice by far at the moment, the only thing stopping me seems to be the fact that it's in Canberra. It'd help me get into Ivy League/MIT as well, given its international ranking...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 12:28:49 am by Akirus »

bekkchyeah

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 04:57:13 pm »
I'm really starting to question whether Monash will satisfy my needs (and is David Mills really THAT bad? haha).

see, this is what i perceive to be wrong with the physics department.
you get the biggest cohort for phs1011 in 18 years, susan feteris goes on leave consequently leaving david mills to run the unit and you have students being turned off physics. i think its terrible that because of david mills, there is a perception that monash physics is shit. stick it out guys! if you want to do physics DONT base it on first year, get to second year and it becomes a hell of a lot easier and david mills does not teach after first year if that is what is swaying your decision. monash physics is a good faculty, once you get past lectures who seem to forget what it was like to be a jaffy! :)

Cthulhu

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 06:32:30 pm »
David Mills does some second year stuff in the second semester... I'm not sure which part though but there are 2 other topics to cover in the second semester so he shouldn't be around for long.

bekkchyeah

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 09:14:06 pm »
David Mills does some second year stuff in the second semester... I'm not sure which part though but there are 2 other topics to cover in the second semester so he shouldn't be around for long.

i was under the impression he only does first year, and besides, hes retiring next year.
either way the point of my story is even if you dont like this semester stick it out, because it would be a shame for the physics cohort to lose more people :)

Akirus

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2010, 09:30:30 pm »
I won't be giving up on physics, I'm just not sure where I want to study it. Also remains that Monash doesn't teach some more advanced topics that I want to do like enwiabe said...

laynie

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2010, 01:49:00 pm »
Monash Physics is rubbish, avoid.

edit: My brother studied there and that's his consensus ^
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:10:02 pm by laynie »

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2010, 03:41:54 pm »
I'm planning on becoming a physicist and am doing my degree at Melbourne University. You don't do quantum field theory or general relativity until fourth year (well first year of masters), but it's good to get the basics done first and then tackle these two advanced topics. If you really want an accelerated pathway, go to ANU since /0 is already doing subjects in first year that I will be doing in third year.
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design