Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 02:14:02 am

Author Topic: bubble's mum wrote a book...  (Read 1897 times)  Share 

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
bubble's mum wrote a book...
« on: November 05, 2010, 11:18:35 pm »
 Yep, it's teh bubbles  :D Highly exalted utterly mediocre former member, for those not there to witness the glory formative years of VN. This'll probably be a flying visit -unless the sirens of VN contrive to keep me here forever :P

Anyways, as thread title said, my mum wrote a book:
Energy, The Subtle Concept - The Discovery Of Feynman's Blocks From Leibniz To Einstein

It's over my head (just a tad), but if you have a grounding in the physical sciences, (or maybe if you're an avid consumer of pop science books) you should find it interesting/useful

Here's teh amazon page (one can view selected pages)
  http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Subtle-Concept-discovery-Feynmans/dp/0199546509/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

Here's a podcast of Mrs bubble talking about her book on abc radio
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/ockhamsrazor/stories/2010/3044582.htm

And here are two quotes, from, I'm led to believe, people who matter:

"The work is full of surprises, and some illuminating apercus. It makes one think about the subject in a new way - the connections made with dynamics, Hamilton and Lagrange are germane, and one never sees these in books on thermodynamics." --Sir Aaron Klug, Nobel laureate, President of the Royal Society 1995-2000

"The conservation of energy is arguably the most important law in physics. But what exactly is being conserved? Are some forms of energy more fundamental than others? You will have to read the book to find out. Coopersmith sets out to answer such questions and to explain the concept of energy through the history of its discovery. This is neither a straightforward narrative nor one for the faint-hearted. Those not put off by the odd bit of mathematics, will be well-rewarded by dipping into this book. Manjit Kumar, New Scientist This is a work of physics in substance and history in form. Energy the Subtle Concept is as much concerned with physicists as with physics. Its scientific interest is matched by human interest. Jennifer Coopersmith deftly brings to life the people who made the science throughout its history." Charles C. Gillispie, Professor of History of Science Emeritus, Princeton University

"People living deeply have no fear of death"
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."
  -Johnny Bench, Hall of Fame baseball player

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
Re: bubble's mum wrote a book...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 01:21:36 pm »
That does sound interesting, and kinda relevant to the work I do now. Are electronic copies available?
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

MuggedByReality

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
Re: bubble's mum wrote a book...
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:59:39 pm »

don't think so, (unless you got an Amazon Kindle). Check ur uni library; if it's not there bug them to get a copy
"People living deeply have no fear of death"
                                      -Anais Nin

"In the 2nd grade, they asked us what we wanted to be. I said I wanted to be a ballplayer and they laughed. In the 8th grade they asked the same question and I said a ballplayer again and they laughed a little more. By the 11th grade no one was laughing."
  -Johnny Bench, Hall of Fame baseball player