Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 06:28:35 pm

Author Topic: Monash Science or Bpsych, advice please.  (Read 1947 times)  Share 

Caspar

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Monash Science or Bpsych, advice please.
« on: November 23, 2010, 03:43:02 am »
Hi, I'm aiming to pursue medicine as a career, and if I don't make it in this year thanks to my solid UMAT score I have a place at UTAS waiting for me if I manage a "70% average" in first year uni studies. My priority for first year uni is thus to meet that hurdle, but I'd also like to learn a thing or two on the way. BPsych would allow me to take a year of psych + 6 electives during my first year, Science would let me pick pretty much anything in science but would require me to do a math subject. I am really quite bad at math (or rather, I don't like it and thus will probably do badly.), but I also found 3/4 psych very boring. Uni psych seems to have a much more interesting course design; there is a lot more science involved and it seems less 'wishy washy' and irrelevant. Given this information, which course would you recommend for me? I plan to take biol/chem at first year uni and probably some softer subjects (please recommend) just to ensure a solid GPA.

Note: I am not considering any other universities due to my proximity to monash uni. These two courses or possibly biomed (looks like it could be a bit harder due to no room for GPA boosting subjects) are the only courses i'm considering.
UMAT tuition (95/96%iles, 100%iles in S1/S3 between us): http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,33968.0.html

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
Re: Monash Science or Bpsych, advice please.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 04:25:50 am »
so if u do a 1st year of a bachelors degree and you get an average of 70% your guaranteed admission to university of tasmania?  

well in that case i reckon you should do BSc... seriously it would be easy for you to get 70+... i got ~78 avg for first year...just have to keep up with assignments and study(cram) for exams...

hey i was horrible at maths and i did the easiest stats unit (sci1020) and got an 80 for it so im sure you can do it...(and yes i still hate maths lol)

i dunno bout bachelor of psychology...someone i knew he did first year and then quit the degree and transfered to BSc...and a few people said that the psych units have this bitch essay that is boring as and long... so i dunno if you would like Bachelor of Psychology just to do it in first year...whereas in science u can choose to do the psych electives or not to whereas in Bachelor of Psych you have to do them...

but yeah thats just my take on it.  

and yep that as well ↓↓↓
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:44:19 pm by TrueLight »
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: Monash Science or Bpsych, advice please.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 07:32:15 am »
Psych will have maths (statistics) in it as well, just letting you know