Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:13:06 pm

Author Topic: English affects the final atar score so much.  (Read 24854 times)  Share 

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: English affects the final atar score so much.
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2012, 11:24:47 pm »
Macrob has a phenomenal English cohort every year, something like 6 50s last year.

Yeah, girls are just better in English :(

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2012, 11:30:53 pm »
+4
As for the number...I think I wrote around 20-25ish, but you can write way more than that especially with English (coz it's all essays). In the paper there was a Melb High dude who had written 80, and there was a guy in my school (mchli) who wrote in excess of 100 if I recall correctly. HAVING SAID THAT, 80-100 essays aren't necessary, but I'm just showing that you have plenty of essays to practice and improve!

(Image removed from quote.)
You don't get six 50's by bludging all year ;)

Although, I must admit, 100 is a lot - nearly 100 more than I did  :P
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2012, 11:33:23 pm »
+1
I've noticed this as well. But a personal theory of mine has always been that girls have better handwriting, and as a result the examiners don't have to squint at the page like they do for most guys.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2012, 11:37:13 pm »
I don't know, not as many people performed well in english language compared to english in my high school...

I'm not too sure about this but there must be some schools where it is the other way round right?

Macrob has a phenomenal English cohort every year, something like 6 50s last year.

I have no idea why this is the general trend but it seems to be so in my perspective.
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2012, 11:47:12 pm »
As for the number...I think I wrote around 20-25ish, but you can write way more than that especially with English (coz it's all essays). In the paper there was a Melb High dude who had written 80, and there was a guy in my school (mchli) who wrote in excess of 100 if I recall correctly. HAVING SAID THAT, 80-100 essays aren't necessary, but I'm just showing that you have plenty of essays to practice and improve!

(Image removed from quote.)
You don't get six 50's by bludging all year ;)

Although, I must admit, 100 is a lot - nearly 100 more than I did  :P

Really, it's not down to how many practice essay that you write. I wrote about 40 in a month for Lit last year, most of which got me 19/20 or 20/20 from my teacher and tutor, and then completely flunked out on my exam. There's so many myths about English that people believe, such as that the more essays you write, the better you will do, or the more pages, which distract people from actually trying to empathise with the text, which is the subject of the essay.

The examiners want to see a complex, original discussion of the text! Not a convoluted, verbose, long winded essay which makes you seem like an ass :p Although mchli is clearly a genius, he could have scored a 50 without reading the texts :p

I don't know, not as many people performed well in english language compared to english in my high school...

I'm not too sure about this but there must be some schools where it is the other way round right?

A lot of kids take English Language when they aren't really capable of it, and hence the grades are less than impressive. But in some of the better English schools, like MGS and Camberwell, pretty much every Lit student gets above 40.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

saheh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2012, 11:54:55 pm »
+1

At an all guys school? Lol
2012: 97.45
Lit: 36 Further: 39 Eng: 41 Bio: 42 Revs: 42 Outdoor: 49

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2012, 08:52:27 am »
Hmm, actually Scotch does decently in EngLang, but not THAT great actually...but last year my cohort did very well. :)
But MacRob is just crazy at EngLang
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2012, 09:42:01 am »
Remember that not all schools offer english language, including some schools that you would expect to do so *cough* *cough*

Well MHS has finally got some Eng Lang classes going this year, all 1/2 at the moment though...
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2012, 10:29:58 am »
Hmm, actually Scotch does decently in EngLang, but not THAT great actually...but last year my cohort did very well. :)
But MacRob is just crazy at EngLang

Thushan what would you classify as a great cohort? (BTW I wonder why Scotch did very well last year :P).

At an all guys school? Lol

LOL
Remember that not all schools offer english language, including some schools that you would expect to do so *cough* *cough*

Well MHS has finally got some Eng Lang classes going this year, all 1/2 at the moment though...

Best of luck to everyone else in the state then. Seriously.
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.

greenbeans

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2012, 01:11:59 pm »
+2
Just wanted to clarify a few things.

The main obstacle for most people in their way of doing well in English isn't a lack of writing experience or ability. It's the fact that they don't bother to analyse and in turn understand the texts which are the subject of their essay. And even more so, they rely too much on their teacher's interpretations and those of study guides, rather than actually doing any work themselves.

What you'll find is that most of the elite 'Asian 5' students do extremely well in English, even if they're not so talented at it, because they apply themselves the right way.

Thank you, charmanderp!

Why oh why do so many students go to study guides and things BEFORE they start making up their own minds and forming sophisticated opinions about their texts in English? It's like saying that your favourite colour is red but then before you decide WHY you like red or why it is in fact your favourite colour, you consume everyone's opinions about why red is so amazing. What good does that do? I know my example is incredibly simplistic, but simple was what I was aiming for, for explanation purposes!

This can also apply to practice exams. There is a reason why you shouldn't plow through the entire VCE course in 2 months. There is a reason why VCE includes both year 11 and 12. So that you absorb everything and go through the knowledge and theory and process all of the study at a decent pace. So that you build on the knowledge each year. You're not advised (well I hope not) to go from grade prep piano to grade 5 in one year. There's stacks of fundamentals. Sure, you can pour over the works and get there eventually, but you're missing lots of steps in the learning process and not experiencing the natural, gradual progression from one level of learning to the next. So just chill with the "must do 4000 practice exams" mantra. Yes I am not being anti-practice papers, but do them when the time is more appropriate. I.e. not before the year 12 course has already started.

Yes this subject is sciencyer (woah, calm down creative word formation!!!) than English. But that does not mean that those who prefer maths/science based subjects are going to do better at it than English. If you want to do really well in ELang there are plenty of fundamentals to the English language that you already need to have equipped yourself with. Not knowing the basics is what cost good scores for the majority of my class. So picking this subject over mainstream English can be deceptive, especially if you're choosing it because you're a more sciency person. I don't mean to make either subject more or less off-putting, they're both great, but take this as a disclaimer and choose wisely when considering all aspects of both courses.

And of course once again apologies for my far-fetched analogies, but hopefully you get my point!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:21:34 pm by greenbeans »
VCE 2010/2011
English | English Language | French | Music Performance | Further Maths | Legal Studies

Bachelor of Arts, Monash
Linguistics | French | Journalism | Criminology

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2012, 12:08:38 am »
+1

Yes this subject is sciencyer (woah, calm down creative word formation!!!) than English. But that does not mean that those who prefer maths/science based subjects are going to do better at it than English. If you want to do really well in ELang there are plenty of fundamentals to the English language that you already need to have equipped yourself with. Not knowing the basics is what cost good scores for the majority of my class. So picking this subject over mainstream English can be deceptive, especially if you're choosing it because you're a more sciency person. I don't mean to make either subject more or less off-putting, they're both great, but take this as a disclaimer and choose wisely when considering all aspects of both courses.

Woop, adding that to my folio. nice linguistic innovation right there. :p

english language is more 'sciency' because it can be likened to, 'the study of' English- yep, they might as well just make the subject 'Englishology' :P. We dwell into the mechanics and workings of the english language, and other stuff, but i think thats why it is commonly said to be more suited to students who are more sciency.
So yes people, do not be decepted into choose Elang for that sole purpose.

2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga