Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:55:58 pm

Author Topic: How much do teachers matter?  (Read 5899 times)  Share 

HERculina

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • To ∞ and beyond
  • Respect: +11
  • School: St. Trinians
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: How much do teachers matter?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 12:32:00 am »
yah i agree with Menang. It matters A LOT
last yr i generally hated biology cause i had a freaky as teacher and i had to do a lot of work independently at home.
but this yr i have a kool teacher and its no longer one of the classes where i go "dayumm. i have balbalblabla next period. i wish i was at home."
:)
------------------------------------------------------> :D <-----------------------------------------------------

LOVEPHYSICS

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 07:42:30 pm »
People may downplay the usefulness of teachers, but the fact is, it matters a a shitload*, especially given the segregated education system of Victoria.
Arts/Law (ANU)

flash36

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 02:17:58 pm »
I think it all depends on the subject being undertaken. For example, I got little to no useful assistance from my Business Management teacher and got a decent score for it. On the other hand, if I was to do Chemistry for example, I would obviously not be able to teach myself the course on my own without help from a teacher. I also think that from my experience, the best teachers are those focused on the VCAA exam and nothing else, and therefore you are taught specifically what you must know for the exam and hence to do well in the subject.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 05:09:19 pm »
For example, I got little to no useful assistance from my Business Management teacher and got a decent score for it.

A 50 is a bit better than just decent ;)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 02:56:43 pm »
People may downplay the usefulness of teachers, but the fact is, it matters a a shitload*, especially given the segregated education system of Victoria.

Separate but equal?

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 03:03:35 pm »
Good teachers are useful and make life easier, but having a crap teacher in no way incapacitates a student from doing well. You just have to compensate for your teacher's shitness.

I think it's the struggling students that suffer the most, especially in lower years. Teachers that don't give a damn should really give up on life itself and just go eat turd indefinitely.

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 04:15:02 pm »
Depends on the student. Some students are independent learners and can learn the material well with minimal assistance from a teacher (who are mostly used to guide learning). Others need to be taught the course content by a teacher and don't learn as well from books and other resources.
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

Truck

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +122
  • School: who needs school when you got SWAG?
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 01:23:49 pm »
Good teachers are useful and make life easier, but having a crap teacher in no way incapacitates a student from doing well. You just have to compensate for your teacher's shitness.

I think it's the struggling students that suffer the most, especially in lower years. Teachers that don't give a damn should really give up on life itself and just go eat turd indefinitely.

+1

In a subject like Spec, you might learn some theory but then there are questions that go into far more depth and even the best students need some help to answer the 1st time, I'd say having a good teacher is an incredible advantage.

Whereas, something like Bus.Man or Further, which really isn't too complex - teachers shouldn't matter too much as you just need practice.
#yolo #thuglife #swaggotandproud

Inspirations: Mahtama Ghandi, T-Pain, The Caped Crusader and Ayn Rand.

Respect

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: -43
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 11:13:22 pm »
i suggest spitting on teachers... well not all most.

"I am the city of knowledge and Ali is its gate" - Muhammed (pbuh&c)

"The most merciful person is the one who forgives when he is able to revenge"  - Imam Husayn (AS)

"To me, death is nothing but happiness and living under tyrants is nothing but living in a hell." - Imam Husayn (AS)

"Whoever sorts out a problem of a believer, God sorts out his difficulties of this world and the here-after." - Imam Husayn (AS)

"Seek Knowledge, even if it is as far as China" - Imam Ali

iffets12345

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 11:32:00 am »
With a website like this, you can do well regardless of your teacher's skill. And it's not really whether your teacher is good, but if you as a student know how to use your teacher so he/she can help you the most.
Feel free to message on dentistry questions

soniat

• Non-Student
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 07:39:22 pm »
+1
actually its not the subject which makes a difference in the pay
its the experience the teacher has and the rank of the teacher which decide the pay scale..