Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:13:17 pm

Author Topic: Intensity  (Read 7009 times)  Share 

appianway

Intensity
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:35:31 am »
Is it just me, or is science actually a reasonably intense degree?

So many contact hours, so many assignments, so many lab reports... I was expecting uni to be a bludge, but alas...

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: Intensity
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:41:04 am »
In a few years it'll be a bludge but 1st year science is a really high workload. It's also that the difference from VCE is pretty obvious and you'll have to adapt

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:53:21 am »
Uni is only a bludge if you're an arts student.

Otherwise, even for a typical commerce student to survive, extensive reading outside of classes is needed provided they want to do well.

But what Russ said really encapsulates the essence of a science degree. First year is where all the contact hours are and where they try to weed the adults from the children so to speak.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:54:39 am »
Uni is only a bludge if you're an arts student.

Pfft, go look at my timetable in the UoM thread :P

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 05:03:36 pm »
I purposely avoided doing lab subjects this year... so lazy lol

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:18:18 pm »
For science students, it's only busy if you do subjects with lots of labs, like experimental physics/chem/bio. None of that in maths, thankfully.

P.S. /0, are you doing that ASC with B-Wang as an add-on to Analysis 2? Just saying, I did the exact same thing. Also it was pretty rubbish. Heads up.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 07:32:46 pm »
In a few years it'll be a bludge but 1st year science is a really high workload. It's also that the difference from VCE is pretty obvious and you'll have to adapt

omg that is so wrong...

just because you have no labs! lol
3rd year is the hardest i would say
and then if you decide to do honours it gets way harder...
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 07:34:15 pm »
Is it just me, or is science actually a reasonably intense degree?

So many contact hours, so many assignments, so many lab reports... I was expecting uni to be a bludge, but alas...

i think year 12 is more intense than science.. (for me at least) having hardly any stress makes more difference then anything.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 07:47:32 pm »
also i guess organisation is a big thing as well. if your very organised that will help alot

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

Edmund

• Dr. Ruler Snapper
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 08:05:47 pm »

omg that is so wrong...

just because you have no labs! lol
3rd year is the hardest i would say
and then if you decide to do honours it gets way harder...
Yeah true... As you progress through the years, the lectures and material get more demanding, and few contact hours doesn't always equate to 'bludge' :P Also, many contact hours in first year doesn't make it difficult, it's simply a 'busy year' ;D
2007-2008 VCE ATAR 90.15
2009-2011 BSc (Unimelb)
2012-2015 DDS (Unimelb)

Booksale: Drugs That Shape Society, Forests in a Global Context

appianway

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 08:07:33 pm »
It's not really an organisational thing - I'm finding that the workload's constant, whereas in VCE it peaked around exams (but you didn't have to work excessively hard the rest of the time). I have to keep a HD average, which doesn't help - and I have two lab subjects (which isn't too much, at least), and one of the subjects that I'm taking has four exams this semester. On top of that, basically every subject that I'm doing has a weekly test or assignment (and that's excluding assessed labs and term papers). Sigh, it makes year 12 seem like a breeze.

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 08:28:05 pm »
True... it's pretty busy compared to highschool, but (at least i think) there's less pressure than in highschool. Making mistakes is common in university, in VCE it can mean death.

P.S. /0, are you doing that ASC with B-Wang as an add-on to Analysis 2? Just saying, I did the exact same thing. Also it was pretty rubbish. Heads up.

Aww well... at least it is complemented by my other subjects... thx for the heads up. What ASCs have you done that are good?

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 08:35:27 pm »
Mmm, I found 1st year the hardest and the next two have been easier. Might just be me though *shrugs*

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 08:51:32 pm »
It's not really an organisational thing - I'm finding that the workload's constant, whereas in VCE it peaked around exams (but you didn't have to work excessively hard the rest of the time). I have to keep a HD average, which doesn't help - and I have two lab subjects (which isn't too much, at least), and one of the subjects that I'm taking has four exams this semester. On top of that, basically every subject that I'm doing has a weekly test or assignment (and that's excluding assessed labs and term papers). Sigh, it makes year 12 seem like a breeze.

yes but organisation helps to pace you through all the work. if you leave it to the last minute it makes it more intense.

George Orwell, 1984.

Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 11:05:19 pm »
True... it's pretty busy compared to highschool, but (at least i think) there's less pressure than in highschool. Making mistakes is common in university, in VCE it can mean death.

Aww well... at least it is complemented by my other subjects... thx for the heads up. What ASCs have you done that are good?
Hmmm well my favourite ones where number theory ones I did in 3rd year, though that's to be expected considering I ended up doing honours in number theory. Analytic number theory is tres cool but you'll need to do complex analysis first (although the amount you do in 2406 should be enough to get started). Also if you want a cushy subject to do next semester, do number theory and cryptography, easiest HD you'll ever get (and you could probably do an add-on then with my old honours supervisor, Richard Brent).
I did an interesting ASC on the Banach-Tarski paradox from a more philosophical point of view with Jason Grossman from the philosophy department, which was excellent. If you want to do something more philosophical (with connections to maths or physics, obviously) then he's your man.
Also did ASCs on hyperbolic geometry and on convexity and the isoperimetric inequality with Andrew Hassell, both of which were decent, and certainly not too challenging. Over summer I did a summer research scholarship with Andrew on quantum unique ergodicity, which you'd probably find quite interesting (kinda a mathematical way of seeing how close quantum mechanics and classical mechanics are to each other), but you'd probably have to have done Analysis 3 to do that. It'd probably make a great honours topic though.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.