Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 02:50:34 pm

Author Topic: A question about the nature of engineering...  (Read 1527 times)  Share 

Hure

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
A question about the nature of engineering...
« on: April 28, 2011, 09:38:54 am »
Hey everybody,

I'm considering doing engineering but there is something I want to clarify before I think too heavily about it. Once you have finished an engineering course and work as an engineer, do you have a fixed skills set and maths and science base that you put into practice, or is this skills set and maths and science base always expanding. Is it always just a matter of applying what you've learnt back in uni?
If this is the case, how do you actually get better at being an engineer? How do you 'climb the ladder'?

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
Re: A question about the nature of engineering...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 12:53:56 pm »
In my opinion it won't be entirely technical knowledge like your ability with mathematics/chemistry/physics that will allow you to climb the ranks as an engineer. Generally once you're in the workplace, it will be your research, efficiency, leadership etc. which will let you progress.
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

Hure

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:06:45 pm »
Oh ok, that's interesting for looking at double degrees! I'm thinking your choice of commerce is a good idea.
But so, do think an engineer has a fixed maths/science knowledge/skills base or does it inevitably keep expanding as you do more engineering work?

Kopite

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 12:36:09 pm »
Oh ok, that's interesting for looking at double degrees! I'm thinking your choice of commerce is a good idea.
But so, do think an engineer has a fixed maths/science knowledge/skills base or does it inevitably keep expanding as you do more engineering work?

hmm...i think it depends on what field you're in. for civil, i don't think there would be a need to enlarge your skills base that much (i only do chem tho btw). for aeronautical/mechatronics, there would probably be a greater need to incorporate new ideas etc into your understanding of concepts, because those two fields seem to be at the forefront of technology.

that said, i think once you get a job, all you really will learn is the intricacies of said job and you'll see small refinements of your skills, but nothing major.

comm/eng is a good combo!! do it!! do it!!

Hure

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 02:41:57 pm »
Thanks for the answer, that's what I was hoping!