Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:37:25 pm

Author Topic: Electrical Engineering  (Read 11131 times)  Share 

Flaming_Arrow

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +16
Electrical Engineering
« on: August 04, 2008, 08:42:38 pm »
RMIT or UoM?

RMIT only requires 70 enter whereas UoM is 85
which is better?
2010: Commerce @ UoM

Ken

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Re: Electrical Engineering
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:45:58 pm »
RMIT FOR THE WIN, it's more practical!

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:47:20 pm »
yeh i would also say RMIT, i've heard UoM engineering is far too theory based and not enough prac

Flaming_Arrow

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 08:53:27 pm »
what would employers prefer UoM or RMIT? 

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:57:01 pm »
well thats hard to say, i was speaking to one of my teachers whose brother is a civil engineer and she said he would employ people from swinburne and RMIT over other universities because the people who come from UoM no all about the theory and not alot on the practical side where as swinburne and RMIT seem to have a nice balance of both.

psychlaw

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 09:00:05 pm »
I don't know about electrical... but for Civil 98% of all graduates find employment straight away with an average wage of $50 000 to $60 000... this is RMIT Uni by the way and is stated by them

Flaming_Arrow

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 09:02:46 pm »
I don't know about electrical... but for Civil 98% of all graduates find employment straight away with an average wage of $50 000 to $60 000... this is RMIT Uni by the way and is stated by them

awesome thanks

perfectscore

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 08:34:10 pm »
what do civil engineers do? can anybody give me the job in a nutshell? what jobs would you be doing straight out of uni? looking at buildings or something?

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 08:50:04 pm »
Civil engineers plan, design, construct, operate and maintain roads, bridges, dams, water supply schemes, sewerage systems, transportation, harbours, canals, dockyards, airports, railways, factories and large buildings.

Civil engineers may perform the following tasks:

investigate sites to work out the most suitable foundation for a proposed construction

research and advise on the best engineering solution to meet with a client's needs and budget

produce detailed designs and documentation for the construction and implementation of civil engineering projects

organise the delivery of materials, plant and equipment needed for the construction project and supervise labour
develop detailed programs for the coordination of site activities

talk to other engineers, architects, landscape architects and environmental scientists
assist government bodies in preparing yearly works programs within set budgets (e.g. for works on car parks, drainage, roads, aerodromes or sewerage)

prepare engineering calculations required for the design of projects and supervise the drafting
operate computers to assist with the design of civil engineering projects

coordinate and direct research development and testing of materials, processes or systems related to civil engineering works

research, advise on and plan the control and minimisation of air, water and solid waste pollution, and the management of water
supervise the testing and commissioning of completed works

analyse and interpret reports on loading, labour, productivity, quality, materials and performance

analyse risks associated with natural disasters including wind, earthquake, fire and floods, and design structures and services to meet appropriate standards

arrange for geological and geophysical investigations and carry out feasibility studies.

all this according to the job guide. Not really in a nut shell but oh well lol

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 08:52:07 pm »
oh and when you finish uni i think you start off as a project engineer where you work with a senior engineer. Work is often a mix of inside and outside work and its not always buildings

perfectscore

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 10:01:45 pm »
is it lots of physics or maths? or theory?

clinton_09

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 10:08:57 pm »
well maths is a given thats a large area in the degree as for physics im not really too sure and whether there is a lot of theory is dependant on the university. RMIT and Swinburne are more prac based where as melb uni is more theory based.

nak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 10:29:34 pm »
well at melb uni, in order to do civil engineering you can choose to do either chem or physics in 1st year.
but with other disciplines such as electrical and mechanical its physics.
while chem eng is obviously chem.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 12:14:43 am »
Why have you excluded Monash? It's a fairly good Engineering faculty I've heard.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Flaming_Arrow

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 08:05:56 am »
Why have you excluded Monash? It's a fairly good Engineering faculty I've heard.

its too far for me so its not an option