Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:38:30 pm

Author Topic: O-week was teh awsum  (Read 4048 times)  Share 

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
O-week was teh awsum
« on: February 26, 2008, 10:05:31 pm »
I think ANU wins the 'best o-week' award of all the unis, ever. Will Anderson did a free gig in union court and the 'politics in the pub' evening was also free and had politicians that kind of matter like Maxine McKew, Tony Abott and Jo Hockey (there were some others too). And there was a jumping castle and other amusements out the front of the library. And toga was...interesting. And, I don't think there is even the option of paying union fees, we're forced to pay nothing and still get all this cool stuff! Yay! (although a few different events did cost money, I didn't go to any of them)

Ummm.... discuss!

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
Re: O-week was teh awsum
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 11:34:36 am »
will anderson was indeed good. so was his warmup act too, matthew kenneally, who's actually the brother of the senior resident of my floor last year.

toga was crazy. six jägerbombs beforehand may have contributed to that somehow  :buck2:

didn't go to the politics in the pub thing, bruce had their later year cruise that now.

so yeah, crazy week. sooooo hungover by the end of it all though  ::) and extremely worn out. and broke. and just tired in general.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

Avocado

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:19:52 pm »
Sooo Canberra isn't a ghost town then?

I have to say the only thing tainting my view of le capital is it's supposed lack of... well... life.

I'm currently agonizing over unimelb vs anu. Persuade me!

Also, at the risk of sounding like a stalker: Eriny methinks I know you!! If you were a member of DART board, and went to Greensborough then hello!! *waves* tis me, Grace!

if not... i hereby retract that wave.

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 07:58:43 am »
unimelb. Go to unimelb. Period.

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 10:36:12 am »

I have to say the only thing tainting my view of le capital is it's supposed lack of... well... life.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a stalker: Eriny methinks I know you!! If you were a member of DART board, and went to Greensborough then hello!! *waves* tis me, Grace!

Yep, you're stalking me :P

There's usually always something happening in Canberra, it's not nearly as boring as everyone thinks. I live in a residential hall, so chances are that of the 350 people surrounding me, at least a few will want to actually do something. I haven't done any work past dinnertime practically all year.

dcc

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +55
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 03:34:13 pm »
Greensborough High School?

Avocado

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 05:06:13 pm »
Haha! Hi Erin! Kudos for getting accepted into the most prestigious course in the country! So I'm guessing you're the one to turn to if I need Lit help... Which texts did you study?

So that's one vote unimelb one vote anu...

Curse you, melbourne model! *shakes fist*

'College', not high school dcc... not that I'm pedantic or anything

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 05:10:43 pm »
For Lit I did Judith Wright's poetry and Sugar and Other Stories as my exam texts.

dcc

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +55
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 10:25:03 pm »
my sister went to greensborough (then she went to macrob)

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 03:40:35 pm »

There's usually always something happening in Canberra, it's not nearly as boring as everyone thinks. I live in a residential hall, so chances are that of the 350 people surrounding me, at least a few will want to actually do something. I haven't done any work past dinnertime practically all year.

Yeah, I checked out your college's website, actually. I saw you did something resembling University Challenge. That's awesome :D I wish there was something like that at my college. I don't know if your qs are as hard as the ones from the English tv show everyone would sometimes watch, I could only get a handful right each time :P

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 07:33:35 pm »
Psssh, UMelb is not nearly as good as ANU. I should know: I've experienced both (and have plenty of friends at UMelb).

Weird, I've done plenty. Though I usually do most of my work between 1 and 4 in the afternoon, and 1 and 4 in the morning  ;D

I worked out that I went to 2 hours of class last week  :( really need to stop sleeping in til 1pm every day.

Oh, and where you at Road Relay today, btw? Bumped into a fair few Burgmats there that I knew. Was quite proud, I passed James Dawson in my 1500m leg  8-)
VCE 2006
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 05:22:45 pm »
Weird, I've done plenty. Though I usually do most of my work between 1 and 4 in the afternoon, and 1 and 4 in the morning  Grin

I worked out that I went to 2 hours of class last week  Sad really need to stop sleeping in til 1pm every day.

Oh, and where you at Road Relay today, btw? Bumped into a fair few Burgmats there that I knew. Was quite proud, I passed James Dawson in my 1500m leg  8-)
lol :D. I wasn't at the relay, I had work today :|

The reason why I never do work in the evenings may have to do with the fact that I'm an arts student. I have so few contact hours that I have lots of time to do my work during the day and then just bludge.

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 08:28:05 pm »
Psssh, UMelb is not nearly as good as ANU. I should know: I've experienced both (and have plenty of friends at UMelb).

How is it better, curiously?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 01:33:33 pm by AppleXY »

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 03:42:34 am »
Weird, I've done plenty. Though I usually do most of my work between 1 and 4 in the afternoon, and 1 and 4 in the morning  Grin

I worked out that I went to 2 hours of class last week  Sad really need to stop sleeping in til 1pm every day.

lol :D. I wasn't at the relay, I had work today :|

The reason why I never do work in the evenings may have to do with the fact that I'm an arts student. I have so few contact hours that I have lots of time to do my work during the day and then just bludge.
Bah, arts students. That's where I'm going wrong, doing all this sciency stuff where you actually have to do work  :P arts students just seem to get so little assessment, whereas for most of my subjects I have a reasonably difficult assignment due every second week.

Speaking of which, I have one of them due at 11am this morning. Need to sober up in order to finish it  :(

Erm... hard to say how, exactly. I'm a bit biased being a college kid and all, as I'd never have got such an awesome experience living at home in Melbourne. But from my point of view, ANU's courses are more difficult yet more interesting. Plus ANU is a prettier and more managable campus. I mean, at undergraduate level there's not going to be a whole lot of difference between a degree at UMelb, USyd, or ANU; they're all pretty much on par. But I have no doubt that I wouldn't be enjoying uni nearly as much were I at UMelb instead of ANU.
VCE 2006
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 04:55:07 pm »

Erm... hard to say how, exactly. I'm a bit biased being a college kid and all, as I'd never have got such an awesome experience living at home in Melbourne. But from my point of view, ANU's courses are more difficult yet more interesting. Plus ANU is a prettier and more managable campus. I mean, at undergraduate level there's not going to be a whole lot of difference between a degree at UMelb, USyd, or ANU; they're all pretty much on par. But I have no doubt that I wouldn't be enjoying uni nearly as much were I at UMelb instead of ANU.
[/quote]

Yeah, colleges ftw. My college at Latrobe is cool, 50% international students, I've got friends from every continent :) Even so, I'm somewhat attracted to your college and Eriny's -there seems to be a lot to do, and I'd enjoy pitting myself against the best and brightest in debates, etc. Do you [and Eriny] have lots of opportunities within your college life to do intellectual/constructive activities? [as well as getting pissed, which is cool as well]