Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:31:40 pm

Author Topic: Comm/Law or Arts/Law?  (Read 7986 times)  Share 

brendan

Re: Comm/Law or Arts/Law?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 01:45:48 pm »
Certainly at ANU, students would much rather join their law degree with an arts degree than a commerce degree because by the main firms in Canberra that employ law graduates, an arts degree is seen as more desirable.

But i never said that in some instances arts/law wasn't better. Clearly for some situations they are. But in aggregate, Com/law is better in terms of career opportunities.

a job at DFAT

But what sort of job? Toilet cleaner? It seems awkward that you suggest arts/law is better than com/law for "a job" (whatever that is supposed to be) at DFAT, as it is after all, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Indeed if you look at the DFAT graduate careers page:
http://www.dfat.gov.au/recruit/graduates/index.html
You will see that there are two graduate programs, with one called "Corporate and Financial Management Trainee Program " for those with qualifications in Accounting.

So your claim that, all else equal, an arts/law grad has a higher probability than com/law grad of getting into DFAT is becoming all the more shaky.

costargh

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 02:00:08 pm »
Ouch!

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 02:41:53 pm »
Certainly at ANU, students would much rather join their law degree with an arts degree than a commerce degree because by the main firms in Canberra that employ law graduates, an arts degree is seen as more desirable.

But i never said that in some instances arts/law wasn't better. Clearly for some situations they are. But in aggregate, Com/law is better in terms of career opportunities.

a job at DFAT

But what sort of job? Toilet cleaner? It seems awkward that you suggest arts/law is better than com/law for "a job" (whatever that is supposed to be) at DFAT, as it is after all, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Indeed if you look at the DFAT graduate careers page:
http://www.dfat.gov.au/recruit/graduates/index.html
You will see that there are two graduate programs, with one called "Corporate and Financial Management Trainee Program " for those with qualifications in Accounting.

So your claim that, all else equal, an arts/law grad has a higher probability than com/law grad of getting into DFAT is becoming all the more shaky.
What's this aggregrate based on? Sorry, it's just that from most Law students I've spoken to, they feel that either degree offers a similar amount of pathways. Indeed, with a lot of business-related aspects being covered in Law degrees - courses on tax, corporations, bankrupcy, takeovers, etc. - most Arts/Law students will still be able to pursue many of the pathways that Comm/Law students take. Of course in some cases the additional study that a Commerce student has undertaken may make them the more viable candidate for the job, though that would heavily depend on the major of the Commerce student and the job in question.

There are of course jobs at DFAT that require accountancy, but the foreign component indicates that profiency in a foreign language or two is highly important. About 50% or so of Arts/Law students that I meet at uni want to end up at DFAT, and are doing that combination because that it what is most likely to get them employed there, as told by employees of DFAT guest lecturing in their first Law course (Foundations, I think).

I will of course concede that Commerce graduates generally have more employment opportunities than Arts graduates. But that's irrelevent when talking about double degrees - if you're going to look for employment in areas that don't need a Law degree, then why study for one at all?
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

brendan

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 02:56:35 pm »
I will of course concede that Commerce graduates generally have more employment opportunities than Arts graduates.

And Com/law over arts/law as well?

lacoste

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 02:59:13 pm »
which one will get you more job opportunities: business/law at monash or commerce/law?

brendan

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 03:01:26 pm »
DFAT that require accountancy, but the foreign component indicates that profiency in a foreign language or two is highly important.

But there's the rub. The original question being asked wasn't: "Is arts/law better than com/law for a role in DFAT overseas"

- if you do comm/law, is it more advantageous to you in terms of employment options? if so, is it significantly more than if you did arts/law?

But that's irrelevent when talking about double degrees - if you're going to look for employment in areas that don't need a Law degree, then why study for one at all?

No, it's not irrelevant as plenty of law graduates go into non-legal professions. And secondly the question asked was "if you do comm/law, is it more advantageous to you in terms of employment options? if so, is it significantly more than if you did arts/law?" The question posed was not limited to only legal professions.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 03:52:24 pm by Brendan »

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 09:40:26 pm »

vce01... keep in mind that all u're gonna get on here r opinions.

Hear wot we have 2 say, but show the independence of thought 2 make up ur own mind.

Personally, if u want 2 cover all bases, I would recommend Com/Law with a concurrent diploma in ur desired Arts 'major' (or visa versa).

Like, I know it's a lil different, but instead of doing a double Arts/Com I decided 2 do BCom with a Dip of Languages (Jap).
Takes 1 less year and the Dip is the equivalent of a degree major.
I may also take Jap Studies as a cross-faculty minor to compliment my language studies.

If u'd like 2 know a bit more bout this alternative, I happen 2 have a copy of the Arts faculty undergrad diploma application form 4 Monash. It has a list of all Arts faculty diplomas u can apply 4 ...including popular majors like politics, history and philosophy. I'm sure other universities have equivalent programs.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 03:12:18 pm »
Com/Law + DipArts

Problem solved.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 03:21:42 pm »
Com/Law + DipArts

Problem solved.

Did I not say that 3 days ago Jo...? :P
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

marbs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 05:52:24 pm »
I think if you are dead set on law, that Comm/Law is the answer.

But humph brings up good points about an Arts double degree are very handy.

If you were more interested in Commerce, I would suggest Commerce/Arts because Commerce and a study of a language, plus different country would be in demand. Especially with some of these Asain Countries, like China still growing excessively, and Japan's growth being will slow, will likely increase.

I remember talking to this absolutely load Investment Banker who works at Goldman Sachs, who said something similar to the above. The man seemed to have the best job if you could cope with the long hours at first

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 01:54:57 am »
Com/Law + DipArts

Problem solved.

Did I not say that 3 days ago Jo...? :P

Thread was tl;dr :P 

<3 jess :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

cara.mel

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 07:06:25 am »
:(

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 02:30:08 am »
<3
Former Global Moderator

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 06:01:46 pm »
hahahahhahahahah brendan is only saying comm/law > arts/law cause one side has the word 'arts' in it.

hahahhahhaha what a champion, even when he gets grilled for bashing arts, he still does it in the most subtle way.

brendan is da gr8est hustla

QFT

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 10:46:37 pm »
Why not just straight law? If you are passionate about law, then adhering to only one dedicated course seems feasible, at least to me :P