Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:42:14 pm

Author Topic: ANu or Melbourne?  (Read 6525 times)  Share 

CBYS

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
ANu or Melbourne?
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:51:44 am »
Hi, all. I've already enrolled in the UoM Bachelor of Science, but i received my enrolment package for ANU two days ago for Bachelor of Science Advanced, Honours. Im pretty much torn between the two as Melbourne is convenient, and the BSc is an awesome degree, but the BSc Adv Hons guarantees me an honours pathway(as I understand it). Both unis are also very highly regarded both here and overseas, and im in a tight spot here, as i only have 5 days to respond to the enrolment, and i can't decide. My acceptance into ANU was also a big surprise as i never expected to get in, having a lower ENTER. However, my Melbourne acceptance was also a massive surprise, as i never expected a 26 in methods, which exceeded the 25 requirement by a slim 1.

Accomodation and food is another issue. I lodge with my parents here in Melbourne, but i most likely will need to search for a sharehouse in Canberra, as applications for campus lodgings have already closed. Accomodation in Canberra is also limited and expensive.

One last thing. ANU is 1 in science in aussie, but UoM is 2, not to mention being nearer and therefore convenient and cheaper. However, ANU offered me a great course, which i never expected to get, seeing my ENTER didnt meet the required score.

So thats pretty much it. I can't choose, and i need some input, preferably pros/cons of both unis or a comparison between the two courses. Thanks loads in advance.

CBYS

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
Re: ANu or Melbourne?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 12:55:49 am »
Also, im a potential available roommate. Anyone looking for a sharehouse roommate in Canberra, reasonably near to uni, please drop a line in this thread. However, i must notify you that i havent finalised my decision yet, and might wind up not going to ANU after all.

My details are:

Gender- Male
Race- Chinese Malaysian
Level of cleanliness- Hygienic but sloppy

Do ask if there is anything else i left out, which i most probably did.

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 12:57:24 am »

have you checked which is better for your preferred subjects/major area?

CBYS

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:47:30 am »
I did. Both have great options in the Life Sciences category, but ANU does offer double majors, which UoM lacks.

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 03:49:41 pm »
Don't worry too much about prestige, both unis are very good, internationally recognised, etc.

You're quite right in saying that housing in Canberra is scarce. I think this would be the main problem with ANU.

As for honours pathways, you don't have to be guaranteed honours in order to get in relatively easily. The average required is reasonable for someone who enjoys science and looking towards doing research in the area.

Also, think about if you think you'll want a double major in uni, also think about Melbourne's compulsory breadth and whether or not you particularly want to enroll in breadth courses or if you'd prefer another science subject. I think you should base your decision on what you want to do in your degree, rather than the other issues you brought up, as this is the most important thing.

Also, what is the difference between normal science and advanced science at ANU? Is it just being guaranteed honours, or is there more to it than that?

CBYS

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:33:30 pm »
Pretty sure its only guaranteed honours. But it is a good educational opportunity, seeing that ANU is 1 in science in the country. Melbourne is a close 2, but the courses offered are fantastic, whereas i know next to nothing about ANU science, seeing that i never attended any open days or info sessions.

as for Melbourne breadth, I've already enrolled in language courses, which im really looking forward to. Melbourne doesnt allow any science subjects to be taken as breadth, too, or to swap out breadt for extra science subs, for that matter. Im not exactly 100% sure about the latter, though.

Thanks for all the comments. Im pretty serious about ANU, but accommodation might prove to be the make or break factor regarding my tertiary decision. So if theres anyone in Canberra looking for a roommate, just drop a message here. Thanks again.

brendan

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 10:04:46 pm »
With a Clearly-in enter of 95, ANU looks like it might carry more academic cred

CBYS

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 10:07:34 pm »
That was what i was thinking too. But there has been some debate about the quality for the undergrad course. There was the Woroni article in the ANU Questions thread, for example.

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 10:59:49 pm »
I think undergrad courses are reasonably good on the whole, but it is primarily a research uni. This could be advantageous though when it comes to doing honours.

CBYS

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 11:36:26 am »
Yeah, i guess thats true. But isnt UoM a research uni too? Maybe it isnt one on the scale of ANU, but i dont think thats an important issue, is it?

CBYS

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 11:59:53 am »
I do want to pursue a masters in my chosen field, though, so i guess in the long run, any slight difference in undergrad course quality would make no difference.

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 04:26:02 pm »
No, it probably won't make a huge difference. I think ANU is supposed to be more of a research uni than Melbourne, which is why ANU is ranked higher than Melbourne (some rankings just factor in how many times people who work at the unis were referenced and how many publications they had and that kind of thing).

In the end, I don't really know which one you should pick and nobody can really tell you which one to go to, but if you have any more questions which will help you make your own decision, then of course, keep asking.

CBYS

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 11:46:56 am »
Thanks for all your comments, guys. They have been really helpful and im really close to making my decision now.

hard

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 02:39:04 pm »
Thanks for all your comments, guys. They have been really helpful and im really close to making my decision now.
how long do you have to accept an offer?

CBYS

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 07:14:49 pm »
By tuesday. Cutting it a bit close, i know.