Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:37:46 am

Author Topic: Private Schools  (Read 58316 times)  Share 

brendan

Re: Private Schools
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 09:03:12 pm »
Eton College
http://www.etoncollege.com/eton.asp?di=1214
"The fees from September 2007 are ?26,490 (approximately US$53,000 or ?39000) per year for accommodation + tuition, but there are some ?Extras?. Click here for details of current fees."

Now that is expensive

MBA from Harvard Business School
http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/costsummary.html
US$73,300 for 9 month academic year

The whole MBA program takes 2 years if done full time

MBA from the Melbourne Business School
AUD$50,000 for the whole two year program, so approx AU$25000 for one academic year.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 09:12:07 pm by brendan »

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 09:06:07 pm »
People pay a lot for reputation, I think. Eton: everyone's heard of it, I reckon.

Of course, reputation comes from somewhere, so I guess they've got to be good. I don't see what's wrong with high priced private schools though. To each to their own: if you don't like it, go to public schools :) If you think they're providing a bloated service, go to public schools :)

rustic_metal

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 09:45:47 pm »
this is stupid. if people arent allowed to take the piss now and again without getting their stuff deleted, this site is rubbish. this isnt an encyclopedia, it is not absolutely essential we remain on topic constantly.

Moderator action: Responded to via PM.

We do accept fun and humour, but not bland pointlessness. I don't know what you're referring to, but if you're referring to the debate about the links before, I thought that was going out of hand.

Edited by coblin
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 09:59:59 pm by coblin »

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 04:17:23 pm »
Referring to above edit by Coblin:

Coblin has my full support on this. Don't deliberately act like a douche. It will not win you any favours. This warning goes out to everyone. Have a nice day. :)

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 06:20:14 pm »
I'd rather not get into mod decisions, I have no idea what just got deleted. However, I do respect the fact that coblin identified himself as the mod to have taken action. I admire his willingness to accept the power AND the responsibility of being a mod, and that he's been gracious enough to supply an explanation.

Back on topic... I would never pay the money for a private school. I believe that it's not so much a school, as it is the teachers. I believe that a student who is willing to put the effort in will do well no matter what the school. That said though, 95+ enters become private/selective school territory because all the students in such a school tend to adopt an all-or-nothing mindset, and drive each other further. I don't have any such support or competition at my school, and I believe that may have acted to limit my enter to the lower 90s. However, I'm happy to have it that way, since I'm only striving for a 90 for my uni course and I'd consider any money spent to drive my enter higher than necessary as frivolous spending. If I wanted to get into medicine or something, then I'd consider asking my Dad to take out a second mortgage...
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 06:23:52 pm »
Back on topic... I would never pay the money for a private school. I believe that it's not so much a school, as it is the teachers. I believe that a student who is willing to put the effort in will do well no matter what the school. That said though, 95+ enters become private/selective school territory because all the students in such a school tend to adopt an all-or-nothing mindset, and drive each other further. I don't have any such support or competition at my school, and I believe that may have acted to limit my enter to the lower 90s. However, I'm happy to have it that way, since I'm only striving for a 90 for my uni course and I'd consider any money spent to drive my enter higher than necessary as frivolous spending. If I wanted to get into medicine or something, then I'd consider asking my Dad to take out a second mortgage...

Yeah, it's all a personal cost-benefit analysis, really. Do the benefits of a high quality private school outweigh the costs? The private schooling market will adapt to the demands of the consumers in order to make money. The only reason why private schools are charging so much, is because they cannot dominate the lower-wealth portions of the market, which is currently owned by subsidised public schooling. Instead, they target the high-wealth sector of the education market. Sounds fair to me.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:26:17 pm by coblin »

costargh

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 06:28:34 pm »
Are there any laws governing the Victoria's educating bodies (schools) in the sense that say... a school can not charge over $100,000 a year or anything like that.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2007, 06:30:28 pm »
Are there any laws governing the Victoria's educating bodies (schools) in the sense that say... a school can not charge over $100,000 a year or anything like that.

Nope, and there shouldn't be. If a school feels that it should charge $100,000, go ahead, although it would most likely be financial suicide since hardly anyone would go to the school. It would probably need to develop an extremely elite reputation beforehand.

costargh

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 06:33:42 pm »

Nope, and there shouldn't be. If a school feels that it should charge $100,000, go ahead, although it would most likely be financial suicide since hardly anyone would go to the school. It would probably need to develop an extremely elite reputation beforehand.

I just don't like the idea of people forking out such huge amounts of money for an education that really may not be any greater than that of a public school education. Although I guess it is the parents choice and if they take the risk then that is their choice. In about 10 years time I can see Today Tonight and ACA swarming around "parents exploited by greedy schools". LOL
Sidenote. Those shows are ridiculous and sensationalised pieces of shit.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 06:38:05 pm »
Yeah, it is the parent's choice, and the government does not need to be the parent of its citizens, and mandate what choices are acceptable or not.

Individual responsibility shouldn't be sacrificed to the government to make decisions for us.

costargh

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 06:40:52 pm »
Yeah, it is the parent's choice, and the government does not need to be the parent of its citizens, and mandate what choices are acceptable or not.

Individual responsibility shouldn't be sacrificed to the government to make decisions for us.

I like SOME government intervention. It makes me feel my life is in someone elses control and it won't go spiraling out of control =)

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 06:55:54 pm »
I like SOME government intervention. It makes me feel my life is in someone elses control and it won't go spiraling out of control =)

LOL. I don't know how to respond to that.

I'm thinking: if you want someone to control parts of your life, make a deal with an insurance agency or something haha, but there's no reason why governments have to intervene in everyone's life. Also, note that by intervention, I mean unnecessary intervention: I believe in government intervention in order to ensure private contracts and individual liberties are protected (e.g: stopping someone trying to steal from someone else via the police or courts).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:57:25 pm by coblin »

costargh

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 07:09:28 pm »
Fair enough. I just think that government intervention plays an important role in upholding society which is why I believe that sometimes morals and ethics should be embedded within our policy because it keeps people safe and happy =)

Lol I am talking like a 2 year old haha. All I really want to say is " I like government intervention" haha

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 06:17:44 am »
I'm a public school kid who had a positive experience. I'm kind of fond of my school and I don't think I would have performed better anywhere else. If anything, I think lower performing students would do better in private schools because of the more disciplined academic atmosphere.

Yeah, I find that those fees are ridiculously high, but if you want to pay them, go ahead. I think you can have just as good quality education at a public school, as long as the student is open to the learning opportunities.

Andy

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 08:39:07 pm »
Parents paying $12,000 for prep is a waste of money in my opinion. A private education is worth investing in at Year 7 perhaps, but dishing out thousands as said earlier for a prep to learn abc's is crazy.
2008: Accounting, Economics, English, Further Maths, International Studies