Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:36:59 am

Author Topic: Moderation of exams  (Read 5125 times)  Share 

joshuamorgan

Moderation of exams
« on: October 27, 2007, 02:11:00 pm »
In the past, for Year 10/11 exams my school has moderated the score in scenarios such as, say, when only 5% of the students answer a certain question correctly (they don't count this question as part of the total, reducing the total marks allocated to the exam).

Does the VCAA do this for exams? For example, whilst I was browsing a VCAA assessment report for VET IT, there was one question where only 5% of students answered the question correctly.

Cheers,

J.

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
Moderation of exams
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 02:21:16 pm »
no. that would be stupid

joshuamorgan

Moderation of exams
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 02:33:52 pm »
Damn it :P

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Moderation of exams
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 02:37:52 pm »
no they dont in the way that you describe ie with a single question. however like some schools moderate sacs/tests if the whole class does badly over the whole test (ie the mean is like 40% or something like that, no one above 60% or something) and they shift the whole thing up, well in a way vcaa dooooes kinda you could say do that, when they divide the study scores over the curve giving the 0 - 50 study score distribution. like if it was horribly hard, there will still be 50s except they'll be achieved through scores of like 85% instead of like 95% or wahtever if you get what im talking about. but its not the same thing as what you asked. so. no. aha.

either way. this is nothing you should even be thinking about as it really has nothing to do with how you approach the exam or how you go, or anything you have control over

eta; waht im trying to say is, it really wouldnt matter if they took that question out anyway, because all it does, is improve your percentage score yes, but it rarely changing the ranking since barely anyone got it right. and seeing as ranking, not actual raw percentage, is what matters, seeing as you are allocated a study score depending on how you go in comparison to everyone else, it really wouldnt mean anything. at all. except be unfair to thsoe who did get it right.

cara.mel

Moderation of exams
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 02:42:57 pm »
But if you think about it, it doesn't matter.
The % you get doesn't matter. The best people will get 50 no matter if they get 70% or 100% on the exam.

If they do happen to make questions no one can answer, it just makes the other marks on the paper more important. Don't worry about a dud question if one rocks up, don't let it stuff up your confidence for the rest of the paper.

Also, I know the chief assessor firstly goes through and marks a batch to see what kind of responses are there/what standard we are at. If there is a question that is clearly too hard, they give out marks for easier points/steps than was originally planned when the other person wrote the paper

joshuamorgan

Moderation of exams
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 07:06:15 pm »
OK, thanks.

I didn't even think about the whole ranking thing! :P

BA22

Moderation of exams
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 01:37:27 pm »
yeh, i was told you can drop 10-15 (out of 118) marks on the PE exam and still get 50

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Moderation of exams
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 02:00:57 pm »
holy shit haha wish i was doing PE! in that way i kinda wished id chosen one really uncompetive subject and tried to get a 50. because even though competive subjects are balanced out by scaling, theres no difference between a 50 in one of them and a 50 in another, and id say getting 50 in say chem is a HELL of a lot harder than 50 in PE haha.

joshuamorgan

Moderation of exams
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 02:21:22 pm »
Quote from: "BA22"
yeh, i was told you can drop 10-15 (out of 118) marks on the PE exam and still get 50

How did you determine that?

BA22

Moderation of exams
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 02:48:40 pm »
i was told by a guy who'd marked about 7000 papers for PE over the years. . .i trust him, haha

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Moderation of exams
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 03:38:35 pm »
i was told by a guy who'd marked about 7000 papers for PE over the years. . .i trust him, haha

yeah but it would depend on the exam. The highest mark is always going to get 50, whether they get 100% or 70%

BA22

Moderation of exams
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 03:40:19 pm »
Quote from: "goosefraba"

yeah but it would depend on the exam. The highest mark is always going to get 50, whether they get 100% or 70%

Exactly, but that is the general trend that he has observed, i'm not treating it as gospel anyway

joshuamorgan

Moderation of exams
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 04:03:02 pm »
Quote from: goosefraba
Quote from: BA22

Hmm? Is it the top mark that gets 50 or top n%?

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Moderation of exams
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 04:16:32 pm »
Quote from: "joshuamorgan"

Hmm? Is it the top mark that gets 50 or top n%?

I don't know what you mean, isn't it the same thing?
What I meant was that getting a 50 doesn't necessarily mean you got 100%. It's a ranking, so if the highest mark for the exam was say 75%, that person would get 50, if they got the highest mark. sacs come into it too though

joshuamorgan

Moderation of exams
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 04:19:49 pm »
What I meant was: is it just 1 person that gets 50 or can multiple people get 50?