Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 10:19:09 am

Author Topic: DOUBLE DEGREES @ Caulfield?  (Read 10700 times)  Share 

dazza

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: DOUBLE DEGREES?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 08:16:24 pm »
Maybe I can shed some light on this... sure a double degree will give you 2 degrees instead of 1 and it will open up more job opportunities.. but bare this in mind, some degrees not all, will be limited when combined with another degree, say for example the course I was completing at VU, thanks to the combination of accounting/banking and finance, I could not be be a licenced chartered accountant, due to the very fact that thanks to the double degree I was not able to complete taxation and auditing, two rather important accounting subjects.So that's something to consider when deciding on whether or not you want to complete a double degree... Hope that helped a little :D

this is a good point. i wouldnt have thought of that. but your right, a double degree does sometimes take up electives and other such subjects. i guess you have to decide what your dream career is and then from there work out what you need to get there and if a double degree will make you look more appealing to an employer. or you could just do it for the fun of it. check what qualifications you can get from this double degree. :)

haha education is a completelly random and different course. go for it if thats what you want. why dont you hunt around for a double degree that includes teaching?

"do it for fun"..that makes much sense to me..
i might just stick with the subject that i think i will enjoy at then..
a lot easier doing it this way..:)

dazza

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 08:19:25 pm »
The double degree i might to commerce/law takes 5 year :( ouch lol 23 when i graduate

Lol... beats some people who spend like 15 years in Uni :P

As for me I finish at 21 :)

i will finish at 23-4..><

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 08:20:38 pm »
I will hopefully finish at 21 too. :XD

Damo17

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 08:21:19 pm »
The double degree i might to commerce/law takes 5 year :( ouch lol 23 when i graduate

I'll be at uni for 8-9 years.  :D

Bachelor of Science (3 years)
Honors Year (1 year)
PhD in Mathematics (4 years)

But I may do a double degree Bachelor of science/engineering.

So i'll finish when i'm 26-27.
2011: Science - ANU

Odette.

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 08:25:59 pm »

I'll be at uni for 8-9 years.  :D

Bachelor of Science (3 years)
Honors Year (1 year)
PhD in Mathematics (4 years)

But I may do a double degree Bachelor of science/engineering.

So i'll finish when i'm 26-27.

O_O omg lol...

I might do an honors year... is there even one for accounting? (don't know)

But finishing at 26/27 my goodness, almost as bad as my cousin he's like 30 something and STILL at Uni... but he's special... in the sense he's conducting heart research methods, and creating his own methods [in america]... on a scholarship anyways... if only I were that smart lol... >_>

Damo17

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 08:28:18 pm »
^
But in the end it will be all worth it, being able to be a mathematician or work my way up to a professor at university.

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 08:30:58 pm »
I plan to be at uni all my life :)
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

Damo17

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 08:32:09 pm »
I plan to be at uni all my life :)

I'll most likely be there for all my life too.

Odette.

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 08:34:23 pm »
You two sound like my uncle, he's like 55 and still doing courses at uni, currently completing a Masters in Communication and Media or something >_> I think I'd die ... although I do plan on coming back to uni at some point in my life, later on most likely when I'm around 50 or possibly when I retire.

Damo17

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 08:39:08 pm »
You two sound like my uncle, he's like 55 and still doing courses at uni, currently completing a Masters in Communication and Media or something >_> I think I'd die ... although I do plan on coming back to uni at some point in my life, later on most likely when I'm around 50 or possibly when I retire.

The big difference between me and your uncle would be that I would be teaching instead of being taught. 8 years of uni courses would set me up for many, many years of teaching.

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 08:43:08 pm »
I want to work... Not be stuck in uni all my life. :S

vcestar

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 08:48:05 pm »
Why are you people so eager to get out of Uni as soon as you can? Double degrees are awesome, because you are well regarded when you enter the workforce. This means you reach higher positions such as executive or whatever much quicker then someone with a normal single degree.

While this is not applicable at all times, it is for most.

Hence by spendind 1 extra year, you are pretty much taking a short cut in terms of getting a job position which u wud have fought 5 years for.

Odette.

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 08:49:46 pm »

The big difference between me and your uncle would be that I would be teaching instead of being taught. 8 years of uni courses would set me up for many, many years of teaching.

LOL! He taught at RMIT and Deakin for 10 years :P, then moved to work with SBS and then that News station Al-jazeera (however it's spelt), he's just doing something to pass the time I think, might move back into media again...

Odette.

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 08:52:05 pm »
Why are you people so eager to get out of Uni as soon as you can? Double degrees are awesome, because you are well regarded when you enter the workforce. This means you reach higher positions such as executive or whatever much quicker then someone with a normal single degree.

Hence by spendind 1 extra year, you are pretty much taking a short cut in terms of getting a job position which u wud have fought 5 years for.

Maybe because I want to be working... and not studying for most of my life (that's just me), despite my thirst for knowledge, I do want to start a family one day, the bills wont pay themselves :P...

dazza

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 09:21:25 pm »

Maybe because I want to be working... and not studying for most of my life (that's just me), despite my thirst for knowledge, I do want to start a family one day, the bills wont pay themselves :P...

totally agreed