Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:25:45 am

Author Topic: Future Goals & Aspirations  (Read 1009 times)  Share 

ice_blockie

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
Future Goals & Aspirations
« on: January 14, 2008, 07:55:41 pm »
Right about now, people will be getting their VTAC offers. Many will get their first preferences. But equally many will not. Either way, it’s quite important to spend some time thinking about your future direction after your fuss, laughter and tears. Even for those in Year 10,11,12 this year, its also a good idea to keep the future in perspective. Whether you want to be a doctor, be a CEO, own an inner city apartment, finish university or get into your course of your dreams, it will take some time to think over.

Here’s a short list of focusing questions to help you think about what you want to do and how to go about doing it:

Brainstorm your goals - Think about what you want to achieve today, this month, and this year. Where do you want to be in five year's time?

Write them down - Writing your goals down is like setting things down in concrete. You have decided what your goals are now, and you are on the way to achieving them.

Re-examine your goals - Are they your goals? Do you really want to achieve them? Are they just novelty dreams? Are they dreams of your friends, your parents or your teacher? Make sure your goals are YOUR goals and no one else's!

Re-write them as SMART goals – Think about the following ideas:
Specific (i.e. to the point)
Measurable (Numbers!)
Acceptable (Do I believe I can achieve it?)
Realistic (Can I do it?)
Time bound (When do I want to achieve this?)

Create an action plan - Now you will decide how to achieve your goals. Think about the steps you have to take to get there and write them down. Gather all the help you can get but be flexible in your approach.

Display your goals - Place your goals in a place where you can see it regularly. Keeping it in sight, keeping it in mind!

A word of note, your goals may change after a month, a year or even five years. You may discover that you have different talents, interests than that of the past. So be flexible but don’t give up!

And don't forget to post your goals here!

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
Re: Future Goals & Aspirations
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 11:55:59 am »

Measurable (Numbers!)
Realistic (Can I do it?)

Year 12 Business management all over again.. LOL

Good advice mate.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

elaine

• Business Management Moderator
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 09:11:27 pm »

Measurable (Numbers!)
Realistic (Can I do it?)

Year 12 Business management all over again.. LOL

Good advice mate.

lol, just what I was thinking.
[♥]

cara.mel

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 09:19:50 pm »
The smart goals I remember had A as achievable :(
But then I didn't do BM and I'm just remembering this from a Motivational Speaker (NO I DONT PAY ATTENTION IN THEM I JUST RETAIN STUFFS)

I'm generally not into goal-setting. because they don't change as your situation does day by day. kthx xD