Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:30:48 am

Author Topic: Cockyness on VCENotes?  (Read 5470 times)  Share 

bucket

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +8
Cockyness on VCENotes?
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:20:46 pm »
Okay, this is not really a rant, but more of an observation that ive made whilst being a member of the vcenotes community, and I find it really funny.
It seems like most people here are trying to prove that they are 'smarter' than everyone else, whether it be to themselves (lol if you are one of these people) or to the rest of the community.
It's kind of sad really, I've seen comments where it is blatantly obvious that people are talking down to another member of the vcenotes community, and geez, how cool are you guys?

"Top quality education should be easily accessible and affordable, but the current system does not allow this. VCENotes.com is not here to point the blame. www.VCENotes.com is here to provide, as one member has termed it, “the free market solution” to a growing problem. "

Hmm, that may be the case some of the time, but it is obvious that for some people, this is a site where they come to feed their egos.

You can disagree with me if you want, but I just wanted to put that out there ;P
Thanks.
Monash University
Science/Engineering (Maths, Physics and Electrical Engineering)

bturville

Re: Cockyness on VCENotes?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:31:09 pm »
Haha. I've noticed some people guilty of that too. But then it seems that there is a high percentage of people here who have got, or will get an ENTER of 99+ (slight exaggeration/oversimplification)

Maybe that kind of environment encourages 'talking down' by its very nature!

Good call though man

phagist_

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:35:01 pm »
Yeh it is a bit like that, they should have a slogan; 'VCE Notes: Where people come to masturbate their egos'.

But seriously, it's like any internet forum - being able to hide behind the facade of a random username lets people lose their inhibitions of being polite or social.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:40:17 pm by phagist_ »

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:37:26 pm »
If there is intellectual bullying going on, then I wish to know about it. I will put a stop to it immediately. Nobody should feel insecure about their intelligence on this site, a place of learning and enrichment. If you have specific posts where people are condescended in such a way, please put them here.

That said, if you're talking about some of the heated debates that go on here from time to time and the occasional "OMG YOU'RE SO STUPID BECAUSE OF WHAT YOUR'E SAYING" lets slip, that's more anger/frustration than any real discrimination. But, yes, a targeted attempt at bullying someone intellectually will be taken very seriously by yours truly.

Also, this site will always attract the arrogant. There will always be the braggarts and shameless self-promoters. That's true of every facet of life and society. Just learn to ignore them and move on with your day. :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:39:16 pm by enwiabe »

bucket

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 11:43:57 pm »
Lol I'm not complaining or anything, it was just an observation.
I'm not posting this to point the finger at anybody either, I just wanted to see what the rest of the community would say about this :p.
Monash University

bturville

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 11:44:12 pm »
i think its generally subtle, and relatively harmless.

*waits for someone to talk down to bucket about the spelling of cockiness*

haha

bucket

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 11:45:53 pm »
i think its generally subtle, and relatively harmless.

*waits for someone to talk down to bucket about the spelling of cockiness*

haha

LOL!! :P

And yeah some things are pretty subtle :p.
Monash University

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 11:49:40 pm »
I know what I'm going to ask is characteristic of the arrogance you speak of, but can you quote any examples? Not that I disagree, I'd just be interested in seeing what you think epitomises the arrogance of this forum.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 11:53:22 pm »
I have a feeling I've experienced it but it's never been something I can't live with. I agree with phagist. It's an online forum so you're bound to get inflated egos behind the screen.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:59:53 pm by coblin »

bucket

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 11:58:52 pm »
I know what I'm going to ask is characteristic of the arrogance you speak of, but can you quote any examples? Not that I disagree, I'd just be interested in seeing what you think epitomises the arrogance of this forum.
I knew somebody would ask for evidence.
The fact of the matter is I haven't exactly been archiving every, or any examples for that matter, it's just something I was discussing with another vcenotes member recently and I wanted to see the opinions of everyone else.
Monash University

dcc

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +55
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 12:19:12 am »
I have a feeling I've experienced it but it's never been something I can't live with. I agree with phagist. It's an online forum so you're bound to get inflated egos behind the screen.

SWEET SWEET IRONY

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 12:21:19 am »

SWEET SWEET IRONY

<+dcc> oh btw coblin i just ruined you on the internet
<+dcc> http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,4302.0.html

How is this ruining?

dcc

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +55
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 12:22:39 am »

SWEET SWEET IRONY

<+dcc> oh btw coblin i just ruined you on the internet
<+dcc> http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,4302.0.html

How is this ruining?

I cracked a funny, see.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 11:13:35 am »
Also, this site will always attract the arrogant. There will always be the braggarts and shameless self-promoters.
coughakiracough

As for cockiness, there are some very, very smart people on here. Obviously that doesn't give them the right to be cocky, but it should be expected, especially since this is the internet and most people don't know who you are and therefore you don't have to be modest and polite and all that :P
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 12:09:53 pm »

With Akira and a couple of others [on other forums] it was more that they lived in ivory towers of [(relative) maths/sci] brilliance. I thought it amusing how he couldn't comprehend that anybody could find Methods challenging.

As for specific examples of cockiness on this forum I can only think of examples from members with >10 posts, so they shouldn't be taken seriously at all