Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 11:10:20 pm

Author Topic: Euthanasia- Angelique Flowers dying wish  (Read 8796 times)  Share 

costargh

Euthanasia- Angelique Flowers dying wish
« on: September 13, 2008, 06:59:07 pm »
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=jdxd_EFDd4s

I watched the whole thing and was moved by the words of this sufferer. It really saddens me to know that people have to go through this and the law deems it illegal. I used to be a fence sitter on euthansia leaning towards freedom to choose death, but after watching this, I have no doubts.

midas_touch

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Serial Trout Slapper
  • Respect: +4
Re: Euthanasia- Angelique Flowers dying wish
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 09:07:15 pm »
Pretty moving stuff. I also share the pro choice viewpoint with regards to euthanasia, and cant think of any logical justification of why it should remain illegal.
Some snippets of what goes on in IRC:

<chath> ill say " i wont let you go until u kiss me bitch"

<@enwiabe> i have the BEST orgasms when i'm working through a math problem

<@mark_alec> my bikini line however, is most important

Are you scared yet?

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:10:46 pm »
I'd say euthanasia is a very good option, if it means the end of eternal suffering. I just can't imagine living through like that...

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 12:31:47 am »
I've always maintained that we should have capital punishment for attempted suicides. Help them on their merry way ;)

(not serious)

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 12:38:44 am »
I've always maintained that we should have capital punishment for attempted suicides. Help them on their merry way ;)

(not serious)

I agree, also flirting should be a capital offence :)

costargh

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 12:40:49 am »
How terrible is it to think that someone would consider jumping off a building to end their life because they can not legally do it in a painfree and humane way.

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:45:43 am »
Gosh, that video was really sad, what a horrible way to spend the last weeks of your life. It should be a human's right to a painless death. I don't see why people are against it, the whole society is being treated as if it were composed of children incapable of rational thought.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 12:56:39 am »
Gosh, that video was really sad, what a horrible way to spend the last weeks of your life. It should be a human's right to a painless death. I don't see why people are against it, the whole society is being treated as if it were composed of children incapable of rational thought.

I disagree. They should have the right to pursue it without government-enforced barriers though. If the barrier is price, however, then that is their problem (for being unable to afford it). Others who wish to contribute can, although I can hardly think of many individuals (outside of immediate family and friends) who would wish to fund medically-assisted suicide.

I know you probably didn't mean what I attacked, but it's an important distinction, otherwise it implies the public should subsidise euthanasia for anyone who wants it, but cannot afford it.

costargh

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 01:02:35 am »
Lol... it would bring new meaning to "I can't afford to die"

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 01:43:21 am »
A note that doctors would also have an ethical barrier to this, as they've sworn to 'do no harm'.

I personally am indifferent to this. Besides, couldn't a doctor simply prescribe a lot of morphine (intending it for palliative care), and have it used to intentionally overdose? I recall my great-aunt was given a lot of morphine shortly before she passed away from pancreatic cancer...
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 01:46:16 am »

it wouldn't *have* to be done by doctors, there could someone commissioned to administer the substance

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 10:51:53 am »
I'm for euthanasia, but I think there should be strict guidelines around it when it's done so as to avoid accusations of murder. I like the guidelines that the Netherlands have.

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 02:44:12 pm »
A note that doctors would also have an ethical barrier to this, as they've sworn to 'do no harm'.

I personally am indifferent to this. Besides, couldn't a doctor simply prescribe a lot of morphine (intending it for palliative care), and have it used to intentionally overdose? I recall my great-aunt was given a lot of morphine shortly before she passed away from pancreatic cancer...

the Hippocratic Oath prevents a doctor from harming a patient, but there is a point where the patient's health is degenerating to such a point that by not euthanising, the patient actually suffers more. In that sense, what is more harmful?

The big problem with euthanasia is the problem of slippery slope (or thin edge). How does one judge if the person is making a rational decision about ending his/her own life? How does a patient unable to make that rational choice be administered? Does a third party have any power in this decision?
and from that point on, the line becomes less and less distinct... The end of the slide may be as absurd as euthanising a midget in his/her youth because of the "emotional trauma" he/she may likely experience...
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 06:06:41 pm »
Euthanasia would probably involve contracts to protect the doctor/administrator from accusations of murder.

Of course you don't let someone else make a decision like that for you. Only you can make that choice.

As for irrationality, it is extremely patronising to suggest that individuals making their own decision should not be allowed to.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 06:11:26 pm »
Stories like this are why I've been pro-euthanasia for as long as I can remember.

I think a system similar to the current organ donor system would work. You nominate yourself to be put on the register and let your family/friends know, so that they can make the decision to donate should you die and the hospital can double check with the register.

You also get a card saying "Organ Donor". I keep mine in my wallet so that it's relatively easy to find if something happens to me since I carry my wallet around everywhere.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]