Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:58:21 pm

Author Topic: Creating a journal  (Read 1130 times)  Share 

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
Creating a journal
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:16:02 am »
I need to create a journal of interesting aspects of language for holiday homework, but I don't really know where to look. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might go to find interesting examples of language?
We're meant to use this journal throughout the year and for the end-of-year exam but I don't know what kinds of things to really include, it all seems so vague to me... what kind of stuff would be useful? Gosh, English language seems so broad  :-\ I was hoping it would be a mostly linear course.

ed_saifa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
Re: Creating a journal
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 10:20:06 am »
We had to do something like this last year. I basically had anything, advertisements, pages from a novel, but mostly newspaper articles.
[IMG]http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2506/avatarcg3.png[/img]
(\ /)
(0.o)
(><)
/_|_\

"It's not a community effort"
"It's not allowed. Only death is a valid excuse"
"Probably for the first time time this year I was totally flabbergasted by some of the 'absolute junk' I had to correct .... I was going to use 'crap' but that was too kind a word"
"How can you expect to do well when
-you draw a lemon as having two half-cells connected with a salt bridge
-your lemons come with Cu2+ ions built in" - Dwyer
"Why'd you score so bad?!" - Zotos
"Your arguments are seri

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:33:05 am »
Hmmmm, there's so much stuff to collect... I'm going to have to spend a lot of time on this :(. So... basically my task is essentially to catalogue the entire English Language, right? Crap...
I collected a bunch of editorials for English Unit 1 Language Analysis so I might go through those.
Does anyone know of any good websites that have examples?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:35:20 am by /0 »

AppleThief

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 11:41:39 am »
Does your school have one of those newspaper databases, such as Electric Library? You can search for key terms and it returns all sorts of useful newspaper articles.

For example, when you study jargon, you would search for it in newspapers/newspaper database, and it would return up-to-date articles that you can get great examples and quotes from. For example, you could find jargon used in the economic crisis.

In the exam essay, teachers advise against using examples from textbooks, because everyone is using those and the assessors like to be impressed. So examples and quotes from 2008-9 newspaper articles will be useful.

Apart from articles, some advertisements could be useful, as they may have euphemistic or dysphemistic language which you can talk about.

We also analysed various pages from novels to find examples of patterning (Unit 4) and whatnot.

nickalaz

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:11:30 pm »
add me to msn and ill send you an infinite amount of shit for ENglish language.

we were supposed to keep a journal as well, i started off doing it - but then fucked it off half way through the year. You're better off constantly creating lists of examples under different aspects of the course.